Stereo SACD on a Multi SACD player?

I just bought a Sony DVP-NC555ES player and have a question. At this time I only have a two channel setup although my receiver has a multi-channel input. I have my player Multi output front left and right connected to the multi front left/right of the receiver. When playing a SACD 5.1 disk such as The Who's Tommy, is it possible to hear the SACD layer through 2 channels? I guess I don't fully understand all of the bells and whistles and I can't find any reference to this in the manual. My understanding is that Multi SACD will play on a 2 channel only SACD player, can this be made to happen on a Multi Channel player as well?
electric_monk
Hey, thanks for the quick response! I now am in the SACD world...the Dylan sampler that came with the player sounds pretty sweet already. Funny, I am picking up my MF Tri-Vista 21 DAC next week, hope I use it =D
Thinkat... The stereo recording that is on every SACD is an AREA of the disc, not a layer. "Layer" refers to the CD recording that is on a different layer of the "hybrid" disc "sandwich" and which is read by a different color laser in the player.
I'd like to ask a question.
When I put a SACD into my player it always lights up 5.1 and then I have to mess with the remote or players buttons to get it into 2ch.SACD.
I have only a 2ch.system.
Will the 5.1 automatic setting(stinks the way this happens) play back 2ch.SACD anyway or am I stuck fiddling with this dumb Sony?
Most players, Sony and others, permit you to set a preference and will default to that set preference (stereo, in your case). Check the manual.