Audio Research CD2 randomly skips

My CD2 skips in a random fashion, very annoying just when you are fully absorbed into the music. Cleaning the lens did not help. Any body who has a clue what is wrong? Thanks.
I had a CD1 that also skipped. Had to send to back to the factory twice before they fixed it. Fortunately it was under warranty. I sold it shortly after that. All in all I was not impressed with the build quality at all and would not buy another. It did sound good when it was working though. Today I use a CEC TL2 for a transport with an Audio Logic DAC. The build quality of the CEC is exceptional and the sound of the combo is in another league from my CD1. Have not heard the CD2 though. On the plus side, Audio Research's service department was very good to work with even if it took two trips to fix the problem. You should give them a call. Good luck.
My cd2 plays great and rarely skips. Unless the CD is damaged or dirty . Call the service deptartment at ARC .
Leanord at ARC did tell me that the Phillips transport used in the CD2 adheres very closely to the Red Book standard.Which means anything that doesn't comply with the standard will have some trouble. If the disc has flaws it won't track. What Weiserb and Whatjd said is correct from my experience. Both a friend of mine and I owned CD1's and would track anything! We both have CD2's now and do find them to be more fussy about what you play(that being said I have next to no problem with this, he on the other hand buys a lot more rare and used CD's).

To address Tswhitsel's feelings about build quality, yes the CD1 and the CD2 use a standard(read plastic)phillips transport. Aside from that, the thing is wonderfuly well made, "like a tank", the board inside is a work of art, and you need to spend mucho more to get a better constructed player, something like a Wadia 860 or the new CD3, which you can't buy new for $3K or used for around $1500!

Try cleaning or polishing some of the discs that skip with something made for that pourpose and it can't hurt to call ARC and talk to them about it. You may just have a fiber of some sort floating around in there. Do you have a cat?
To add to my post above. I did not want to imply that the CD-2 is anything but a great sounding player...because it is. The tracking concerns with mine were likely because of surface concerns with the cd's. I have a young son that grew up listening to my Jazz collection...and now he has been in three or four High School bands each year including Jazz 1 and Honors...so if he wants to take my cd's to play in his car...or at a friends..or whatever...I let him. Sharing my music with him has paid off...and he now shares his with me. This does make for less than perfect cd's ....and that's O.K. with me. So, I needed players that would be able to track these less than perfect ones.

All said, sonically the CD-2 is very good.
had my cd-2 for about 3 yrs and have had minimal skipping problems (like less than 5 times over the whole time) not recognizing a disc is a lot more frequent but usually reinserting a time or two gets the dis played. I really wanted a Wadia 860 but like Maxgain indicated, for the money the Arc was hard to beat.