BAT VK-D5 CD Player Needed New Transport Assembly

I just got my 3 year old BAT VK-D5 CD Player back from the BAT Factory. The unit would not play CD's and they had to replace the transport assembly ($400) and also changed the tubes ($120). I was using my Meridian 508.20 CD player as a substitute player but the BAT VK-D5 is a much better sounding unit. Is this technical repair something that I need to worry about or just a chance occurance?
hgeifman
You've got a problem ... the BAT uses the Phillips 12.4 transport which is one of the most troublesome, unreliable transports on the planet. I had a Cary 303/100 AND a 303/200 which both had Phillips 12.4 transport problems. I finally junked 'em. When looking for a new CD player I purposely chose one that did not use the Phillips transport (I bought a MF Nu-Vista 3D CD which uses a Sony CDM14 transport). I looked at the VK-D5SE and thought it was pretty good, but passed 'cuz of the transport.
I have both BATs (Vkd5 & SE) and Meridian 508.24 that use Philips. I never had any trouble with any. The 508 is discontinued because they don't make the deck any more.
Friend got his 303/200 in the other day. Nice sounding unit. But had it shipped 2x's back to Cary for problems, trans?
Don't let the "doom and gloom" folks bring you down.
Anything with moving parts breaks. I had a VKD5 for 3 years, no problems. Sold it and bought a D5SE. Had that about a year now, no problems. If I were you I'd enjoy the music on your fine CD player. Don't sweat the small stuff.

beemer