DIY HD Tracks from mint LPs?

I have 1500 mint Lps (no pops, clicks, or noise) and wish to make my own 96kHZ/24Bit files.

Is the technology there yet?

The bulk of HD Tracks are of Lps I already own. Why pay BIG$ to HD Tracks for each album, that I already have?

What do you need, If you have a High End turntable, MC cartridge, phono stage, preamp, as a source?

What DAC/Computer/software is needed? I have a 2011 iMac, 16 GB, 2009 Mac Mini, 4GB, and 2010 MacBook Pro, OWC SSD, 8GB.

HD Tracks are after all, just "Digital" copies of the analog master tapes, at best. What do they do, that I can't, at home, for a few thousand bucks?

Has anyone had success doing this? Is it worth the effort?
don_c55
You'll need a good ADC (analog to digital converter) - either USB or firewire. Then some basic audio editing software (Audisy?) to break up the recorded record side into tracks. And you'll want to add tags to the tracks, if you store the files in a format that will accomodate tags (e.g. FLAC or AIFF).
While a good ADC setup can give you a HD digital file that mirrors your LP, keep in mind that, due to the process inherent in making vinyl records, your LP is already several mechanical generations away from the lacquer disc cut from the master tape.

That's one advantage a properly done digital studio transfer will have over yours - hopefully they played the original master tape straight into the ADC.

That said, if you like the way your LPs sound, with a bit of experimentation and practice, there is a good chance you'll be equally happy with your digital transfers.
Tape out or phono preamp out to analogue to digital converter to recording software on computer. I use an apogee duet usb. There is also an apogee duet firewire that is the older model. I use cd spin doctor to record. Pure vinyl is another choice.

Pure Vinyl software and a good quality pro audio interface like an RME Fireface or Apogee would be a good way to go. The interface along with RIAA EQ in software would also function as the phono preamp and the DAC. You might just end up ditching the Pass phono stage.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Computer-Audio-Interfaces---Convertors-Computers---Peripherals,Show-All-Brands,New-Gear.gc

http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/

Yes, I have had success doing this. I too have a huge vinyl collection that I won't or can't re-purchase.

You'll need three ingredients:

1) RME FireFace 800
2) Steinberg Wavelab 7
3) The book Mastering Audio, Second Edition: The art and the science by Bob Katz.

Regarding the audio-chain you listed, eliminate the preamp when you are recording. Go directly out of your phono stage into the RME. Does your phono stage have balanced outputs? Ideally, it does and you will connect those balanced outs to the natively balanced ins on the RME with a set of Mogami Gold Studio balanced cables.