HELP: is Monarchy Audio DAC a good idea?

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this WONDERFUL hifi world and am setting up my first/humble HiFi (if I may say so) system right now. I bought a Bryston 3B and PSB Stratus Mini (both used). I do NOT have any PreAmp. I am thinking of using a Monarchy Audio 18B DAC which has volumne control capability so I can completely bypass the idea of preamp. My questions are:

(1) is this 'no preamp' a good idea? (according to Monarchy it is !)
(2) is Monarchy DAC, particularly 18B, good for my system? (I noticed it does NOT user any Burr Brown chips)

Since I only have a SONY DVD player as source, no phono/FM/tape/..., Monarchy sounds to me a very reasonable/economical solution. My intention:

SONY DVD optical output --> Monarchy --> Bryston 3B --> PSB

any input is welcome.

Abe
abetongd719
I have a remote system driven by the 18b output thru 75 feet of mic xlr cable to bel canto pre1 and Rotel 200w/ch. Sound is great.
Yeah...give the DAC a try. Some people prefer the direct sound and some people prefer the sound with a preamp. There's no correct method...it all comes down to personal preference. If you buy the DAC and end up liking it, then by all means...enjoy it. Don't begin comparing it to other CDP options (or preamps) unless you're willing to watch your economical solution turn into a money sinkhole. :-) Really...it happens.
Thank you all for the input!

I'm curious: by eliminating Preamp, we are free from potential extra distortion to the music. Therefore direct to power amp should always sounds better, provided same level of equipment is used, i.e.

$1000 DAC --> $1000 amp
vs.
$1000 DAC --> $1000 PreAmp ---> $1000 amp.

???????

Thanks again,

Abe
Hi Abe,

Yeah...that's the theory, and technically it should be true. Many people have tried that method and prefer it...others prefer the way their music sounds via certain preamps. There are many reasons for that...some technical, and some emotional. It's true that most preamps are going to alter the signal to some extent, even if it is to a small degree, but some people do prefer the way the preamp alters their signal.

There are also many other issues involved. For instance...many CD players have built in volume controls on their variable outputs, but they are often rather cheap. They may do more damage to the sound than a good preamp will. Some people take care of that problem by using passive volume controls, passive preamps, or by purchasing a CD player with a good quality volume control. Other people try passive volume controls and preamps and decide that they prefer the sound of active preamps.

In the end, there really is no right or wrong way to approach it. Everyone has their own preferences, much like every other aspect of audio reproduction. Don't get bogged down by worrying about what is "best". It's much more fun if you worry about whether or not it sounds right to your ears (with your system...in your house). It makes a lot of sense to try the simplest, most economical solution first. If it sounds good to you, then you're done. Good luck!

Oh...by the way...

I hate to bring up another subject, but if you should make sure the output voltage of the Monarchy DAC is compatible with the input sensitivity of your Bryston amplifier. You can do this by checking with Bryston and asking them what their recommendations for minimum/maximum input voltage is (it might even be in your owner's manual). There is another thread listed today that concerns this very subject. If the DAC's output power is too high or too low for your amp, the music will either be way too loud or not loud enough. I figured I'd mention it...just to be safe and help you to avoid some future headaches.
I am currently using the 18B with a meridian 500 transport with excellent results and running it directly to the amp. I would say that the sound is good, however i prefer when I have a preamp hooked up. I am not an expert, but I think the extra amplification of the signal the preamp gives makes it sound better to me. A little deeper, more refined and more dynamic with my preamp.

Keep in mind that this is system dependent and to answer your question: Will the 18B offer great preformance? YES. Will it be better than a high end preamp like a rowland synergy or anything like that? To me, NO. It seems to lose a bit.