Worst remote nomination...

I wish to nominate the remote to my Wadia 861xi CDP as the worst of a large number of remotes I have lying around the house. The little buttons are irrationally located, have obscure labels, and need to be pushed just so to get them to work. On top of that, it practically takes a sniper scope to get it pointed so it will operate the player from just ten feet away. What were they thinking?

Sorry, just had to vent.

Anyone else have remotes they love to hate?
the_smokester
I'm no fan of the Meridian "system" remote, especially since all I have is the CD player and the last thing I need is a desk-top console to change the freaking track.

That said, my absolute least favorite remote issue has to be the fact that the volume control for my preamp ALSO controls volume control on my HT reciever, the display dimmer on the pre mutes the HT receiver, standby on the pre turns ON the HT receiver, etc. . . . So I've got the lights dimmed to watch a movie (main outs running from the HT receiver into Line 2 on the preamp to integrate the two systems, with volume dialed in at 0 gain on the pre) and I, not surprisingly, want to dim the display on the pre -- viola, the reciever is muted. Wanna turn down the volume? it throws off the chanel balance by changing the volume of both at the same time and the only way to re-equalize is to get up and change the pre's volume back by hand. I tell you, what a pain in my behind.
Mezmo, while it may not be "remotely" funny to you, you brought tears to my eyes. Sorry for laughing at your dilemma.
Sim Audio Moon eclipse. The remote is fine except it weighs a TON... No kidding, the remote weights something like a pound and a half...
Mezmo, that is absolutely the funniest thing I've read in a while. I generally don't use remotes, I actually get up and adjust stuff (but that's just me). A few observations:

I had a Marantz "Remote of the Gods" thing to use with my HT setup for a while. I tried to program it, both sober and impaired. No luck. Called my dad who programmed in assembly for 30 years and ran a data center. He spent two days on it and gave it back to me half-programmed. I sold it. Ugly thing anyway. Bought a touch screen rechargeable Proton unit: dad programmed it, kids can navigate it like a charm. I don't have a clue how it works, but then again, I don't use the HT. No worries.

My YBA CD Integre remote almost reads my mind; hover your finger over a button and it does what ya want. Scary.

My Shanling remote was designed by people with very very small digits and exceptional eyesight. Great idea making every button exactly the same size. The writing on the remote... hmmm, I don't think there is any writing? Looks pretty though, it's just hard to tell it's a remote control. Looks more like a new-age vibrator to me.

My Classe Thirty Preamp remote is amusing. Weighs about 20lbs and has three large buttons. Volume up, Volume down, Mute. Even a guy with a sizeable plate in his head can operate this beauty.

My BAT VK30 remote is so damned nice I can't bring myself to use it. I do admire it frequently though. Well done Victor.

The one that takes the cake for the most obtuse and bizarre remote.... Linn Classik. A sea of buttons that even with my glasses on blur together. Linn was clever though, they figured by colour-coding the sections on the face you'd intuitively grasp what they were getting at. Two years later and it still takes me forever to put the tuner on.

My Audio Research preamp remote gradually got to the point where I couldn't turn the volume up or down. I knew the batteries were still good so I thought another possibility could be the battery terminals and the contacts. They didn't look corroded but that doesn't mean anything. I took a scuff pad that I use for scuffing paint before painting and scuffed the terminals and the contacts. The spring type contacts will tear up the pad a little but keep scuffing. A brillo pad or steel wool would probably work also. Blow out the debris and put the batteries back in. The difference in power is incredible. I've done three or four problem remotes and the difference is night and day. I wish I'd thought of this years ago instead just a few weeks ago.