Turntable Leveling, Again

I may have asked this here before, but...I'm in the proces of moving my music room and am having a HUGE amount of trouble getting my Technics SL-1800 level. I have it on a homemade wall shelf constructed of pine and metal braces. The shelf is as level as I can get it. The strange thing is, using a cheap see-it-both-planes level from Lowe's, at the center of the platter I'm way out, but if I move the level to the edges I'm in. This would mean to me that my platter's not flat...is that the case with the SL-1800, or do I have a big problem? I have another turntable sitting beside it I use for 78s, and it leveled up in about a minute, so I'm not sure what part of this is throwing me off. I have a circular level as well; would I be happier (and less frustrated) with a metal torpedo level, do you think?

Much appreciated,

John Sellards
vanmeter
I think it is more imporant to get good readings at the edge. I have also noticed the error factor of cheap levels starts really bad then is better over a modest space and then goes bad again over a long run. The marin of error between the not great table and the crumby level may miss the mark altogether. If I have a problem it starts with the base and so a torpedo can at least verify that flatness before moving to the platter and then to the cartridge.
If the readings are non-level in the center and level on the edges is there any possibility that the piece of wood is slightly warped?
That's exactly what I was thinking...I may have to rethink my shelf. It's bizarre...it seems like I check it, rotate it 180 degrees, rotate it again back where it was the first time, and it's not even close to the same measurement!
Try using a "bulls-eye" level. This has a clear dome showing the level for the entire 360 degree range instantaneously , and will make leveling a shelf (or a turntable) MUCH easier!