XLR vs RCA

Can anybody out there tell me the difference between XLR and RCA connectors? Also does anybody have experience with good cables for connecting an Odyssey Temptest preamp to an Odyssey Stratos amp?
Thanks
Charles
csiow
Play with both type of connections to see if there's a pleasing difference. I've read the XLR have more impact if you are running long cable runs. For short ones, it may make no differenc.

Finally, while the Odyssy amp has XLR inputs, I don't believe it is a true balanced amp internally. Call Klaus, the owner-extraordinare, and he'll be happy to answer your question.

I have the HT3, a three channel edition of the Stratos and I like my amp a lot.
Stratos and tempest, I have not heard it first hand, but my buddies tell me, and Klaus too, that the Groneberg cables are best match with the odyssey equipment, since that is what the internal wiring is.
Good luck.

PS, how do you like the Tempest? I am thinking about it, but for the Mono Stratos...What did you have before the tempest?
Tuan
Please help me about connecting XLR and RCA. My amp and pre-amp have xlr and RCA but my CD player only has RCA. Do you think I should connect pre-amp and amp xlr connectors, and Cd player is RCA connector. Or all connections are RCAs. Do you think there will be a different for connection choice? Please help
i think the biggest difference in a truly balanced design is a dual differential design. the major advantage is less noise since the ground is seperate and you can generally run longer runs of ics.

the positive and negative literally have their own preamp( the output is doubled and the ground is seperate). if a rca connection was balanced, there would be 4 of them.

general rule of thumb, most truly balanced differential designs sound better than single ended...keep in mind, generally.

hope that helps!!

mike