Best XLR cable for Wadia 850?

I run an Adcom 750 preamp to a Pass A5 into electrostats. I need a short (.5m to 1m) XLR cable from the Wadia into the Adcom. (Yes, I have a long XLR into the amp from the preamp, and have several audio sources, tuner, vinyl so I cannot be purist.) Right now I am using an early Stealth Silver and an Alpha Core TQ1 silver - both have good points. I am thinking either Cardas Golden Reference or Audioquest (all low Z not wierd science,) used of course, but you see the price range. I am using Nordost speaker cable (but a friend is going to let me try some Magnan Sigs for the speakers.) I think that palpability, sweetness and detail are my criteria. Thoughts?
Ag insider logo xs@2xivanj
I would check out either the Silver Ref or Matrix Ref from Acoustic Zen. The silver is twice the money. I use the Silver on a Wadia 860x and I think it blend nicely with the slightly laid back nature of the Wadia player. I have tried a bunch of interconnects and I personally liked the Silver Ref the best.
I have had good luck with Harmonic Tech Pro Silway Mk II as well as Cardas Golden Reference with my Wadia 860x. Good luck....
Don't have an 850, but w/ the 21, Nordost Quattros are amazing. Had Stealth PGS (RCA)that were excellent, but not as alive as the Quattro fils. The guy I bought them from owns an improved 860 and has no desire to check out anything else (except maybe Valhallas). Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound has a lot of experience w/ pretty much all the Wadia products and would probably be a great source of info for you. I've heard that w/ some systems the Nordost cable can sound a bit thin, I haven't experienced this. There are some cooked and cryoed fils for $600 a .5m xlr pair in the classified ic section. From what I've seen, this would be very tough to beat.
HI IVAN! I OWNED AN 850 AND USED THE CARDAS GOLDEN REF ANS THE AUDIOTHRUTH DIAMOND. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU NEED.IF YOU WANT WARMTH AND WEIGHT GO CARDAS,IF YOU WANT AIR AND RESOLUTION AND TOP END,GO AUDIOQUEST.
P.S. I ALSO WOULD CONSIDER THE NEUTRAL REF FROM CARDAS.
HOPE THIS HELPS,ORLANDO.
Hi there,
guitarman wrote:
IF YOU WANT WARMTH AND WEIGHT GO CARDAS,IF YOU WANT AIR AND RESOLUTION AND TOP END,GO AUDIOQUEST.
IMHO: go for Kimeber Select 1130 and you have both and much more! A perfect match for the WADIA 850 which I also own.
Good luck!
I have a Wadia 850 and would suggest the Synergistic research res. ref mk II (x-series). I have tried the Nordost Red Dawn I/C, Cardas Ref., Harmonic Tech and non X-series Syn. Res. In my opinion, the X-Series Res. Ref. are far and away the best match and I would put them up against any other cable regardless of cost. They are that good.
I second the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference. Robert Lee is talented to say the least. Very smooth. Detailed. And some say just a hair below the Valhalla. Price on audiogon is high fours to 550 a pair balanced.