CD recorder advice sought

I've read all the threads on this topic, but I am seeking fresh, current input. I want to get a CD recorder primarily to make compilations. I understand the tradeoffs between pro and consumer decks, but would prefer not to spend what it takes to get a pro model. Dual bay would be a plus but not a requirement. I want sound quality, reliability, and ease of use. Any recommendations? Thanks. --Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
A tip for members, when buying mainstream name brand elec.,
Sony, Pioneer etc, please go to www.pricescan.com and use this price search engine.

A search for Pioneer PDR 839 gave me best price of $259. Of course larger ticket items yield even greater savings, like Sony DVP 9000 SACD/DVD/CD player.
Not sure what your budget is, but I'll throw this one in. I finally decided on a Marantz CDR-500 "pro" model with dual bay and 20 bit A-D converter. Can be had for about $750 - depending on the amount of recording you do the difference would be made up in the cost of CDRs. Once broken in, the player section outperformed my previous ~$1700 CD player. Worth checking out IMHO. Good luck on whatever you decide, -John
Thanks for the tip, megasam. Incredible, but the 839 really is available for $259, from Etronics, Can they be trusted?

It's funny. I agonize over this decision but wouldn't bat an eye at trying out a hot new $259 interconnect or system tweak.
Thanks for the very timely tip, Sam. I too am in the market for a burner and i'm sure that your post will end up saving me some money. I'm sure that others feel the same way. Sean
>
Yes, thanks for the tip Sam. I have friend, low on funds, who would like the W839 to replace his computer burner and this price is better than what I see used models selling for.