CD recorder advice sought

I've read all the threads on this topic, but I am seeking fresh, current input. I want to get a CD recorder primarily to make compilations. I understand the tradeoffs between pro and consumer decks, but would prefer not to spend what it takes to get a pro model. Dual bay would be a plus but not a requirement. I want sound quality, reliability, and ease of use. Any recommendations? Thanks. --Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Thanks for the tip, megasam. Incredible, but the 839 really is available for $259, from Etronics, Can they be trusted?

It's funny. I agonize over this decision but wouldn't bat an eye at trying out a hot new $259 interconnect or system tweak.
Thanks for the very timely tip, Sam. I too am in the market for a burner and i'm sure that your post will end up saving me some money. I'm sure that others feel the same way. Sean
>
Yes, thanks for the tip Sam. I have friend, low on funds, who would like the W839 to replace his computer burner and this price is better than what I see used models selling for.
After months of research and price comparisons I settled for the Marantz Pro CDR 500. Both Recording and playback sound great. This unit has several advantages over units like the Pioneer 839 (which is a good CDR). You can use computer grade blank discs (which can save lots of money over the long haul) and override the serial management copy code (i.e., you can make copies of copies). I purchased mine from JandR Music World about a month ago and was able to haggle the price down to $669.00. Good luck in your search.
Throwing a monkey wrench in here, but I would like to recommend the purchase of a computer CD burner. I have owned two audio CD burners, one single and one dual, and I believe the investment in a quality computer CD rewritable can not be beat. The software's capability to burn at various data transfer rates, ability to edit the CD's layout prior to burning, and the added advantage of being able to copy data disks make it my choice.