Need help with Sutherland Ph.D. phonoamp

I have a borrowed Sutherland Ph.D. phonoamp home to audition for a week. Can anybody help me with it:

What settings do you recommend for a Koetsu Black...resistive loading and gain?

Also, about three minutes after startup the yellow light comes on and after about five minutes it turns off. It will only turn on when I use the cleaning brush against the needle. What gives? Are the batteries low? (The red lights flash momentarily just before it shuts off.) It worked fine for several hours last night just after I hooked it up.
the_smokester
Thanks Steve. Sorry, my mistype. I need to engage my hands BEFORE putting my brain in drive. Ed

Thank you, Steve, for the reduction in entropy...I figured it was just a typo but your concern is very much appreciated.

Thanks also for the new thread to puruse. In it, Albertporter says that he has found 1000 ohms to be the magic loading. Perhaps this is a result of using the Io which some consider somewhat dark. Just speculating. Hope he weighs in on this.

I get the message that I need to try some different settings and decide for myself.

John
This preamp is still annoyingly turning off every half hour. So, after about every 1 1/3 of an LP side I need to clean the needle to give it enough noise to reset the clock and keep it going.

I tried the 100 ohm loading but the bass was boomy and the highs suppressed. Right now my settings are 47k and 60 dB and I'm pretty impressed. Will go back to 1k for further comparison. (Cartridge is Koetsu Black.)
Smokester, You are now finding that NO preamp loading "rules" are written in stone. Referring to the thread I directed you to, I state that people tend to ignore or not provide enough consideration to tonearm and interconnect capacitance. Often, the deviations, just as we are discussing, become deviations due to wiring capacitance.

They will, and do, have a MAJOR effect on preamp gain and loading settings.

Who coined the phrase "Your Mileage May Vary"?

Regards, Ed.