Thoughts about the new MacMini & Lion OS

I'm wondering what audiophiles who use MacMinis as music servers think about the new MMs that do not have an optical drive.

I'm also wondering what audiophiles think about the Lion OS on a MM that's used primarily for audio playback.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

:) listening,

Ed
istanbulu
I just downloaded Lion to my iMac. I don't see any obvious impact with iTunes 4 which downloads also.

But there may be something lurking below the surface?
Mach2Music sent this announcement;

All,

Mach2 Music has gone to great lengths to reduce the noise created by OSX in the Mach2 Build. The result is a terrific sounding Music Server. We appreciate our customers and want to take a few minutes to discuss OSX Lion. We have been getting questions about this and want to keep everyone informed.

As you may know, Apple is about to release OSX Lion (version 10.7). This is a paid upgrade ($29) and will be huge in the amount of new code it has. While this new version of OSX will offer most Mac users some interesting new functionality, it will also come with many more background functions turned on (i.e Security, Auto Save, iOS look/feel, etc.) While this may be good for general users, it is not good from a Music Server perspective. We want the Server focusing on the Music, not 250 other things...

So, PLEASE, DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR MACH2 SERVER TO LION!!!!

If you do upgrade your Mach2 Server, a few things will happen.

1) Many of the Mach2 optimizations will be overwritten/undone.
2) Your Music Server will sound worse.
3) If you need Mach2 to reload your machine, or assist you in doing so, we will have to charge you for a support session.

We are looking at making a Lion build. Honestly, because of the things that have been added to OSX in the Lion release, we are not sure weather we can make it sound as good as OSX Snow Leopard (10.6). If we can make Lion sound as good or better than the current version, we will offer an upgrade to Lion for our previous customers.

We figure it will take a couple of months to explore Lion and make a decision. We will post info on the website if we decide to produce a Mach2 Server with Lion.

Best Regards,
Mach2 Music

How many of these changes effect "stock" Mac Mini servers is not known. I think if your playback is iTunes there is no problem. If it's a custom Mach2 and / or you have aftermarket playback software such as Pure Music and Amarra then probably best to search a bit on the web, maybe Computer Audiophile already has a report. They are way beyond me on this type of info.

As an aside, the word on the street is Mac will release a new version of the Mini by Fall and it will have Thunderbolt, the interface that makes USB and FireWire look like old AOL modem speed.
That new Mini was released today, Albert. That's what the OP was referring to when he mentioned no optical drive. It ships with Lion, of course.
I find the response from Mach2Music a bit odd. I have found through the years that Apple is extraordinary in delivering beta versions of the next gen OS to developers well ahead of public release. It is to everyone's benefit for applications to painlessly port to the next release.

I wonder why Mach2Music didn't already have development under way.

Just sayin.....