SCD-1 can be purchased at 2850 new.

Don't go for the high used price here. It's insane!
melhsu
Buy the Marantz SA-1. A much better sounding unit than the Sony SCD-1 without the gimmicks.
Topkat, Have you heard both units, and if so, in comparable seetings and to what extent? Was the better sound apparent in both SACD and conventional playback?
Thanks, Steve
If budget is secondary to sound, then SA-1 is definitely the one to get despite that SCD-1 is a better constructed unit. When playing SACDs, the SA-1 sounded more natural and musical but the SCD-1 isn't bad either. However, when playing redbook CDs, the Marantz is much better since it yields a fuller body to the music. By contrast, the SCD-1 sounds much flatter. However, SA-1 is going to be hard to find for under $4K.
anybody?? I plan to buy one SCD-1 in May and use it with a MSB platinum DAC for redbook CDs.

Topkat and Rdr4b, How good is the Cd sound from SA-1?? If it's as good as the very best u have heard, please post your opinions. please compare the sound to other CDP or DAC u've heard. A million Thanks
Steve (Siddh)-had compared the two SACD players for about a month before I made the purchase of the Marantz SA-1 over the Sony SCD-1. i have a personal friend that I do legal work for who's a Sony & Marantz dealer. Both machines were A & B in my system and the Marantz won flat out in head to head performance.
The Marantz regular CD playback is smooth and sweet sounding. Not bright or edgy like I heard in the Sony player. The Marantz SADCD playback is just incredible. It blew my $10K Wadia two piece front end (which I sold already).
Melhsu, I had many different and more expensive digital gear in my day. The Krell MD-10 & 64X. The Levinson 30 & 31 combo. The Wadia latest two piece setup. All very nice and excited when first installed in my system. But this Marantz...blows away the competition. Like I said before this Marantz for a retail of $7500 and average street price is $5500. It's worth every penny and you will definitely not need an outboard dac. I do not work for Marantz, just want to tell the Audiogon members on the good products. Marantz is the best of analogue sound in a digital box.
Happy listening.