SCD-1 can be purchased at 2850 new.

Don't go for the high used price here. It's insane!
melhsu

Showing 3 responses by topkat

Buy the Marantz SA-1. A much better sounding unit than the Sony SCD-1 without the gimmicks.
Steve (Siddh)-had compared the two SACD players for about a month before I made the purchase of the Marantz SA-1 over the Sony SCD-1. i have a personal friend that I do legal work for who's a Sony & Marantz dealer. Both machines were A & B in my system and the Marantz won flat out in head to head performance.
The Marantz regular CD playback is smooth and sweet sounding. Not bright or edgy like I heard in the Sony player. The Marantz SADCD playback is just incredible. It blew my $10K Wadia two piece front end (which I sold already).
Melhsu, I had many different and more expensive digital gear in my day. The Krell MD-10 & 64X. The Levinson 30 & 31 combo. The Wadia latest two piece setup. All very nice and excited when first installed in my system. But this Marantz...blows away the competition. Like I said before this Marantz for a retail of $7500 and average street price is $5500. It's worth every penny and you will definitely not need an outboard dac. I do not work for Marantz, just want to tell the Audiogon members on the good products. Marantz is the best of analogue sound in a digital box.
Happy listening.
Tommart, that is true the Marantz SA-1 is discontinued in production. That was there statement piece, and believe it or not -Japanese companies don't make any money with these type of pieces. It's all for show, and this is what we can do , is there attitude. Early in my career I was a house counselor for a large Japanese company.

So buy them while you can, before they are all gone. There were only 250 pieces brought in to the USA.

Yes. The Marantz SA-1 sounds better than my Wadia in regular CD playback. And in SACD playback , the Marantz is in another world of quality playback of music.