DAC or Upgraded Analogue in SACD units?

I have read that upgrading the analoge section of SACD units delivers the equivalent of using a stand alone DAC wiht the same unit.

What is the truth?

What is the cost?

Which have you done?

Thanks,

Bill E.
lakefrontroad
Hi Melhsu,

I picked up a Sony SCD-1 yesterday. It's very nice, but, simply doesn't have spaciosness and separation of the Resolution Audio 55 I usually play redbook cds on. I understand that it will improve and frankly, I'm banking on it. But, as of day two, it needs fixing.

I wonder if it's necessary to have the amp and pre-amp running while the SCD-1 is playing in order to get the "full benefits of breakin?"

I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks all.

Bill E.
Rcprince:

Thank you for your opinion and advice concerning the Sony. I have been burning in the unit 24/7 on the XLO break in track and the changes are astounding. The detail is completely changed by the end of week one. There is actually more detail with more distinguished bass now than with my Resolution Audio 55. There is a more present feeling than with the RA55. I can't tell which I like more now. But, to even be at the point of debate means that the SCD-1 is a winner in redbook mode. One note that no one that I remember has touched upon is that the SACD section also seems to need breaking in. I am not aware of any break in/test disks for SACD. It would be nice to flex the entire range at one time.

Also, thank you to everyone who contributed to my learn curve.

The DAC/upgrade question is still open for me. In spite of the improvement, I am willing to do either, if, by change I will have marked improvement. Either way, it's a cheap shot at the next level. Isn't it?

Best wishes,

Bill E.
Bill: I'm not aware of any test/break-in discs for SACD at this time, so you'll probably have to use an SACD. There have been some posts on other SACD threads in the past remarking about breaking in the SACD side separately, although I imagine it might be easier and shorter, as the analog stage is the same for both so you are only breaking in the digital section. Glad to see you're enjoying the unit; I'm astounded at how long it takes for these units to sound their best.
I started to wonder if the filters also need separate break-in? It appears that they soften with use. It's unbelievable that I could have to break in five filters and two analoge sections to get first class sound. My brother the lawyer is probably right when he said, "they should be responsible to sell the unit in operating condition. Someone should sue them!" Now, everybody hates lawyers, but, he sure sounded right.

Bill E.
Lakenfront: Some, me included, feel strongly that five filters simply distort music in five unique ways. Keep "STD" which provide the most "life like" reproduction and work on the rest of your system to make it less noisy, mory silky or whatever