Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl
Thank you all for your input. I have considered waiting as I am in no hurry. However as Lev335 points out I do have alot of cd's to listen to and who knows which format will ultimately win out over the intermediate near term (1-6) years. Again Thanks
czbbcl, DO NOT WAIT!!!! people who keep talking about multiple players forgot why they purchased seperates. I like to keep things simple. I am hedging on the Levinson #39 because it has a built in pre-amp. I don't need a pre-amp so I don't want to pay for one. I am looking at the Electrocompaniet EMC1. AS far as I know it's a killer CD player. No volume control, no pre-amp, just one great CD player. A good CD player with up to the minute electronics is as good as any DAC/transport out there. People will through high dollar names at you but unless you are a dog you will not hear the differance. Linn sondek CD12 vs the world. Stay within your buget. Buy the best CD player now. When the new format takes hold a true high end player will surface that will do one thing and one thing only, play the music!!! Leave the home theater stuff for those who like toys. Find your player now and enjoy. Peace and good listening.
I agree with Psjulian. Waiting at this point only reduces your enjoyment. The "format wars" will continue for a couple of years at least, and I suspect with no clear winner. The only loser (in terms of musical enjoyment) will be you if you decide to wait for the smoke to clear. Get the Electrocompaniet EMC-1 and enjoy the music. I'm sure that you can find a good condition used one for about half your stated budget. The Cary is another excellent unit though I preferred the EMC-1. If you happen to stumble across the Gryphon cdp at a good price, it too is outstanding. In any case, I've yet to hear a DVD/SACD player sound as good as any of the CD-only players I've mentioned when it comes to CD playback. Just one man's opinion. Good luck.
I love my new NAIM Audio CD5. Simple and to the point with a price tag of only $2,250. Read the reviews at audioview.com or in the December 2000 issue of What Hi-Fi? or Hi-Fi News. Beautiful sound.
Can anyone send opinions, comments or recommandations(for
OR against ) CD player CARY 303 for players around
USD 3000?