PS Audio Direct Stream

Has anyone received this unit yet?
And if so please share your review.
128x128ozzy
Well, I just plugged in the PS Audio Direct Stream direct for the first time direct into my Pass Labs X350.5 Amp.

First impression... Not much, very closed in soundstage, and limited upper frequencies.

I don't see how anyone could think this unit is great straight out of the box.

I sure hope this "ugly duckling" gets better. I have a Purist burn in disc that I will play for the next few days, and I will check it every so often.
I don't see how anyone could think this unit is great straight out of the box.

I noted the things the DS did "better" when I first turned it on, but I wasn't ready to throw out the parts to my PWD Mk.II. Believe me it took as long as I indicated before I felt like the nasty bits were gone. During burn in of any component I use the "short sessions with long waits in between" approach so I don't fool myself by just getting used to how something sounds. I also use something else (in this case my TT) as a known standard against which to judge any changes.

One other thing. The DS is (IME) very sensitive to the matching ICs. I discovered the ones which worked perfectly with my PWD were not a good match with the DS. You may need to be prepared to experiment.
With respect IMO this like many components are at their best used with other complimenting, synergistic matching components if one has high resolution speakers. Bottom line is I don't think this DAC or any DAC out there at any price point and at any point of breaking is going to make a hi-end premium preamp obsolete and even not really preferred.

I can tell you with my system with my DACs I have secret weapon that I tried back when I owned my Ayre QB-9 that I now find I can't live w/out and I have tried to get rid of and can't. It just makes any digital SS piece DAC/CDP sound so so so much better. Every time I try get it out of my system and do an A/B comparison it's just too good and I can't remove it and it is not expensive, only about $500.00. I use a Cathode follower after my DAC/CDP that sort of turns my DS into a hybrid Tube DAC. Basically it is like installing a Tube output Stage onto your SS DAC that has a variable Gain trim pot to control volt gain (1v to 5v gain) to tailor to your piece perfectly. Many modders out there will add this exact type tube output stage mod and hardwire it into the CDP directly and set the preferred voltage gain and it is a gigantic upgrade. It can make a mid-fi CDP player sound great. Modders have been using this same type of tube output stage for years. Well what I use is the same thing but it is in its own box which keeps noise floor down, can just be unhooked, has its own tube, power supply, power cord and 1v to 5v gain adjustments. You can turn the volts all the way up to 5v and turn your preamp down to build pressure and change the depth of the center image or adjust bass, etc, etc. I just can't live without it and sorry for long post but if you add one of these to your DS you will see why out of the box for me it sound so great to my ears. This Tube output stage makes a big impact and it is cheap.
I was told to try it back when I was running an Ayre QB-9 and I was blown away by the gigantic SQ increase and been stuck with it ever since. It is made by Decware and called with ZSTAGE. There is also a non gain changing version but the one with gain is way better as I own both. In my system I use i put it about 3/4 up or 3.5v of gain and it hooks in right after my DS DAC between my DAC and my CAT SL-1 Signature MK III preamp. Just thought you guys may like the mod idea that wonders for me. Thanks
Tonyptony, Your break in method sounds like a good idea, I will follow that.
My interconnects are the HiDiamond XLR3's. I do have others but at this time (low hours) I will keep everything as is until I have more hours on it.

Fsmithjack, Thank you for your response. I had an APL Dac a few years back that lots of posters swore by using it direct to an Amp. With that Dac, I tried it direct but eventually I went back to a preamp. So, the DS may also prove to need a Preamp, so I'll see.

My biggest question at this time though is; with running the DS direct to the Amp my volume setting on the DS is about 60-65. Could I be truncated bits?
I know PS says it shouldn't, but, I don't know...

Anyway, I only listened to it for about an hour yesterday. I then started to play continuously a Purist Audio break in disc.
I'll listen to it more this weekend.

P.S. I should add that I firmly believe in burn in, run in etc. I even own an Audiodharma cable cooker. But, if PS Audio didn't make claims about it needing no burn in time, I wouldn't be concerned.
FSmithJack,

Why not just get a properly designed tube Dac?? Adding just a random tube output stage wont compare well to a designed from ground up tube Dac like Lampi, VAD or Aesthetix.

Or just a iFi Audio iTube for even less money?