Rega or Sony from a "digital dope"

Im ready to take the plunge into a decent digital CDP.My main obsession has been analog.All my "education" has centered around analog so I know zip about CDP's.I like the looks and the reviews of the Rega Planet.There is one here for sale for $440.00 I have also seen CDP's in the $2000.00 range(when new) going for $4-$500.They are older Sony CDP's.I dont really want to spend more than $450 max.Should I grab the Planet or buy an older Sony? The bottom line is, the best bang for the buck at $450 or less.
david99
David. Have you considered the Ah Tube. I think it sells new for a little more than what you want to spend, but I think I saw a used one on Audiogon a little while back. I think it has gotten some pretty good comments too. Just a thought. Doug
David,

Look for a used CAL Icon MkII!! In your budget and a great sound for the vinyl junkie. Not bass shy at all and very smooth everywhere else. Good Luck.
I second Slingshot's thought on finding a used Cal; I used to have a Cal Audio Tempest II cd player w/one tube and it was the best sounding player I ever owned. wish I had kept it for comparison w/some of the latest upsampling etc. models. anyway, you can occasionally find a used Tempest II on Audiogon. Highly recommended if you can find it.
When Rega originally designed their CD player, they worked with Sony on their own design. They wanted their player to be more "analogue" sounding than the current crop of CD players. They are pretty smooth...not as much bass, or as detailed as some, but definitely musical. They're also very well built (a comment I can't make about any of the Sony products I've ever owned). For $450 or less, I'd definitely consider the Rega...I'd also recommend looking into one of Stan Warren's modded Pioneer DV333's. The player costs about $200, and I think his top mod is $250. The only disadvantage is the long wait.
I bought a used Rega and I enjoy it very much. Prior I ran an Magnavox CD630 into a Meridian 563. I like the Rega better. At the used price you can't go wrong. Pick it up. If you don't like it it will be easy to sell. BTW, the Rega will play CDR's and CDRW's. A nice feature if you need it.