Copper Deterioration?

I've read many horror stories of really expensive copper cables going brown, etc due to oxidation.

Why would anybody buy expensive cable made of copper when they will go bad over time?

I hear silver cables, when oxidized, actually get BETTER. Is the same true for silver plated copper?

My current view is why waste the money on pricey copper when there's a shelf life on these guys!!

Please advise...........
dr150
Dr; I've seen properly covered copper powerline wires that were well over 50 years old, and underneath the cover, the copper was "squeeky clean". It's only when bare and under harsh envirnonmental conditions, ie high temperature and humidity that corrosion is a serious problem. And I agree with Unsound above, periodically clean copper contacts and they will work well for many years.

My copper house wiring is 33 years old, and in the main breaker box, the exposed wire ends only have a VERY thin layer of oxidation, ie they look somewhat dirty as opposed to shiney-- and I live in a high humidity (but cool) area. If properly taken care of, your copper wires will outlast you and me. Cheers. Craig
One of my "projects" is going to be testing and comparing various "tweaks" to conductors. I'd like to take several identical pieces of wire trimmed to the same length, bare both ends and then treat them with various "contact enhancements" that i have handy. Over time, i'll come back and check on them to see which has held up best in terms of conductivity and corrosion. Obviously, this will take some time since "crustiness" doesn't show up over night. I do plan to speed up the process a bit by leaving them in a damp place though. Sean
>
Sean, please share your results with us. May I suggest keeping a daily log as to temperature and humidty. An outstanding project idea. Bravo!
Exposed portions of a cable will oxidize over time. Of course, the exposed portions are not what is making the connection. So its impact on sound is, shall we say, open to question.

I do agree that you shouldn't waste your money on expensive copper. :)
It's not that silver sounds "better" when it oxidizes; Silver oxide is a better conductor than unoxidized copper.