Best system for the budding audiophile?

What began as a search for new speakers has rapidly evolved into the development of a new system. After reading many reviews (none of which are negative - Hmmm?!), I am humbly turning to this sage group for recommendations.

I am an avid listener of classical and jazz. I occasionally listen to select blues and rock, but that's not my first love. For me, I like a piano to sound like a piano, a guitar like a guitar, etc. No coloration, just the facts, so to speak. I am not a bass hound but prefer a detailed midrange and clear highs. I also look for a open spacious sound stage for symphonic pieces. I have a large room 15' by 20' but can't be too fussy with placement. I am budgeting around $5,000 for my new system.

Based on this information, what system would you build (Amp, CD player, speakers)? which is better bookshelf speakers with stands or floorstanding? I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks in advance,
cdilascia
Try: Proac 1SC speakers (estd $1000-1500 used with stands), Pass Aleph 3 amp ($1000 used on Audiogon), Pass Aleph P preamp ($1700 used on Audiogon), California Audio Labs CL20 ($1100 used on Audiogon). Start with cheap interconnects and zip cord for speaker cable and upgrade later. The total would be $4800-5300 as listed. If you want to shave the number down to have more to spend on cables, etc, I suggest you trade down on the preamp. You can get a decent one for $500-1000 used on Audiogon.
James, since you are starting, just about anything that is good high end will do. I have never had that kind of cash to throw in at once!

Your statement saying "I have a large room 15' by 20' but can't be too fussy with placement" indicates two things to me:

1) Your wife's got her setup the way *she* wants.
2) You don't want to go through the learning curve.

Speaker placement is absolutely critical--even if you buy Bose...now, some speakers are less placement sensitive. My Swans M1 are an example. They have a controlled dispersion ribbon tweeter that is less finicky of room interactions. It works.

Whatever you do, make sure you either get a dedicated line or get power line filtration properly taken care of. Search the files.

Regards,

P/A
Here are some questions you need to answer for yourself (my choices in parentheses):
Tube or solid State? (tube)
Power? (3.5w~94dB/w spkr sensitivity; 7w~91dB/w; 15w~88dB/w)
Preamp or amp with volume control? (preamp eventually)
Floor standers or Monitors? (floor standers)
Copper, silver/copper, or silver interconnects? (copper)
Copper, silver/copper, or silver speaker cable? (copper)
Good luck and have fun.
There is a pair of Merlin VSM III that just listed for $1800. I don't believe they're upgradeable to the VSM-M, but they're still great speakers for the price. Very detailed, yet musical...large soundstage, excellent highs, etc. They're technically a floorstander, but really a monitor with very heavy stand built in (about 90lbs each). They only take up a small amount of floorspace. Not the most bass-heavy speaker in the world, but good, tight, musical bass for a monitor design. They sound best when placed ideally (using Merlin or Cardas recommended placement), but they still sound good placed closer to a wall...you'll just sacrifice some of the soundstage that they're capable of portraying. I've used mine with a Pass Aleph 3 amp. They're great amps, but I think you should go with tubes with the Merlins (17-18 watts and up). If the speakers sound good to you, try calling Bobby at Merlin. You can ask him any questions about that particular model and recommended amps. He's extrememly helpful and he knows which amps, cable, etc. sound best with his speakers. There are similar, more recent, upgradeable Merlin models, but they'll probably sell for more than $2000-$3000. If you're interested in tubes, you may want to check out Rogue. They make some very nice amps for the money and they work well with Merlins if you go that route. You might want to consider an integrated amp, versus seperates, to save yourself some money. As far as CD goes, there are many many options. The Sony 9000ES CD/SACD/DVD sounds like a pretty good bargain and they're going for $800-$900 these days. There are a million more used options. A lot of people are selling very good CD players cheap...just because they're not 24/96 upsampling models. You can probably pick up a very good player for less than $1000...something that was $2000-$5000 when it was new (depending on the age). Good luck.