CD Player w Volume control-Suggestions?

I am looking to run direct to my amp as the majority of my listening is digital. I am looking for a player which is upgradable, and has an excellent volume control. Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to audiotion alot of peices, and therefore have to "dwindle" down the choices and go from there. My budget is about $3000US (I'm from Canada.......so that's about $4500CDN). Any suggestions? This is my system I'd be connecting it to: HT TruthLink 2m XLR Plinius SA-100 MkII Transparent Ultras (single) Castle Winchester speakers with mods. Thanks alot folks and happy listenin'!!
rcoppens
hey carl, do ewe have anything useful to say? yer ears must be *really* good, if ewe can hear email...
hi cblly,

i understand that there are folks who prefer their digital run straight-in. perhaps, as in your case, the tube amp is a key that helps smooth-out what i find to be etched, fatiguing digital sound, when run thru solid-state equipment. i also find it telling that ewe say "it sounds as good, if not better than" when using a pre. at least, in your case, the pre doesn't seem to be degrading the cd-sound. for those of us who use other sources, this is good to know.

prior to getting my current tubed preamp, i had a linn kairn feeding signal to my solid-state electrocompaniet amps. the only way i could tolerate digital, even when run thru the linn, was w/an ase z-man tubed buffer-stage w/nos mullard tube. i don't need that buffer-stage anymore, & as i said, even my cheap cd-changer now sounds as good as i'm gonna get for any reasonable amount of money.

regards, doug

Yes, like I said, I think we ought to hear directly from your brother in law. If you had the stones to ask him to respond to us here, I guess you already would have. So the question is: Doug, is anything YOU have said here, useful? I submit that it isn't, and that we need to hear from this imaginary brother in law...once and for all. To be frank: I'm tired of hearing from you on this, since you have essentially NO FREAKING EXPERIENCE WITH WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!
And learn to type, instead of using your voice synthesizer. I'm tired of reading your stupid phonetic spelling. If I read *ewe* one more time, I'm gonna start calling you "Dud Sod-on-it".
carl, others seem to find it helpful, sorry ewe don't. i've heard my brother-in-law's system, & it's great. as i said before, i don't wanna drag him into your pettiness. i have no reason to misrepresent him - what rationale do you tink would make me wanna? so i could win some imaginary contest w/ewe? HA HA HA!

as i've said before, i feel this forum is for people to give useful info on experiences, so they can then make their own decisions on what equipment may or may not better their musical enjoyment. what useful info have ewe *ever* given on the thread as to the usefulness of a preamp improving cd-sound?!? all i know is ya love yer res-audio cd-50 run straight-in; i & no one else knows what preamp yuve tried w/it; why are ewe so reluctant to discuss it? what are ewe hiding?

ewe say i have "no freaking experience with what i'm talking about" - at least i cite all the pertinent data - then everyone can decide for themselves whether or not it's worthwhile. even if ewe *do* know what yure talking about, if ewe refuse to give all the info, it's not worth much to anyone. yer an odd bird, carl.