CD Player w Volume control-Suggestions?

I am looking to run direct to my amp as the majority of my listening is digital. I am looking for a player which is upgradable, and has an excellent volume control. Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to audiotion alot of peices, and therefore have to "dwindle" down the choices and go from there. My budget is about $3000US (I'm from Canada.......so that's about $4500CDN). Any suggestions? This is my system I'd be connecting it to: HT TruthLink 2m XLR Plinius SA-100 MkII Transparent Ultras (single) Castle Winchester speakers with mods. Thanks alot folks and happy listenin'!!
rcoppens
at that price point, yule get best sound running an inexpensive cd-player thru a nice $3000 tubed preamp - especially if ya buy used. i'd put my $350 ($500 retail) nad cd-changer + $2000 ($4600 retail) melos music-director preamp up against any comparably-priced cd-player run straight-in. i *do* confess that the preamp has *also* improved the sound of my vinyl & fm considerably, too! :>) personally, i'm gonna wait 'til there's a decent sacd/cd/dvd-a player out there for ~$500 before i spend any more money on digital hardware.

doug

there have been multiple threads on this topic. please just search before posting. BTW, why is it, do you suppose, that you and numerous others on this site think "alot" is a word?
LOL .... Alot....hmmm, must be my Canuck upbringin'.....just like ain't in the US or "yous guys" in the Maritimes?? I've seen a few posts, but was hoping someone had luck with the Plinius and is familiar with the Castle speakers (namely the Winchesters, which there was only 1000prs built). Doesn't hurt to ask.....