Help choosing digital front end.

With about a $2000 budget, any suggestions please. I currently have a Wadia 830. I am considering changing to seperates with possibly a Bel Canto Dac 1, or the Sony SACD player. Any experience with these three.
blbloom
I suggest you try a used Resolution CD50, why limit yourself to just the 3 above? The Bel Canto can't take advantage of balanced operation, and how many SACD titles are you going to buy, from the limited numbers available? I concede there are 2 or 3 SACD titles I'd like (I do have them on vinyl already, though), but that's not enough to make me want a Sony player, that is also "expensive" for a Sony product. Especially since they use cheap op-amps for the analog line output stage, instead of something worthy of their price range (and that's either the 777, or the SCD-1). Do you spend most of your time listening to CD? Did you use the Wadia straight into the power amp? Is your power amp balanced? I've found that the CD50 works extremely well straight into all the power amps I've tried with it (balanced or unbalanced). This would free more money to spend elsewhere, other than on a linestage preamp (which would be necessary for either the Bel Canto or the Sonys). If however, you spend an equal amount of your time listening to sources other than CD, then I understand your predicament................(Realizing that my enthusiasm about my player has actually put many people off from it, instead of encouraging, I'll leave you with this): If you really are excited about SACD, then I suggest you get a used 777, and start buying the music titles you want. If you aren't, then try the Bel Canto. If you aren't wild about whatever power amp you have, you might even consider the Bel Canto Evo, since it's DAC and power amp in one (I've personally not heard it before). Anyway, good luck.
Carl, I always felt that your comments on the RA CDP were very good. There's nothing wrong IMO with recommending a unit that one truly enjoys. I've not heard either the 50 or 55 yet. One thing I do wonder is that I understand RA makes other electronics besides this CD player. Do you know what they are and how I might get information on them? Thanks!
while never having heard the r/a cd-players, i know of others besides carl that are enthusiastic about them, so one of these used would be something to keep on your list. that being said, your current cd-player isn't too shabby, & i'd suspect that a good used $2k line-stage would offer more of an improvement that yust a cd-player-upgrade. i know 1st-hand what a line-stage upgrade did to *my* set-up, & my brother-in-law sez it did the same for him - but, he could afford a new cd-player *and* a new preamp! :>) as carl mentions, a preamp also upgrades other sources, if ya don't yust play cd's... one person's opinion. doug
If you get a chance---and I realize it's not a very great chance--listen to a Museatex Bidat DAC with wire remote volume. Dates from mid-1990s, though still upgraded by A/D/S, and, especially when used direct to the power amp, is an extraordinary performer, comparable to the best at any price. Occasionally comes up on the Internet, under $1K.