Any advice on CD player upgrade?

I am looking to upgrade my CD player. My system is as follows: Bryston 3b-St Power Amp, Bryston BP20 Preamp, B&W Nautilus 805 Speakers, Arcam Alpha 7 CD Player. Cables are Kimber KCAG Balaned Interconnect (preamp-poweramp), Kimber PJB (CD to Pre), and Stealth PC Premier speaker cables. I think the CD Player is clearly the weak component, but would also consider getting a second 3b-st for bi-amping. I'm looking at the following contenders (used if I can :-)): Linn Ikemi, BAT, Sonic Frontiers SFCD, Meridian 508-24, Naim CDX, Wadia 830 or 850. Let me know if any of you have recommendations here. Thanks!! John.
128x128outlier
Hi Doug (Sedlund). I indeed get your point, and wholeheartedly agree: I only became wildly dssatisfied with my Rotel AFTER getting an Aleph P to drive my Aleph 2s; only then did a great preamp lay bare the inadequacies of my CDP! My last post's comment re Res Audio was only to illustrate that RA agrees with this strategy: a great preamp is better than their internal analog stage (which is, according to them, although a fine op amp, NOT a high percentage of the cost of their CDP, and therefore one reason why I bought the Aleph P). Back to the thread's intent: assuming one has a fine, revealing preamp, can we hear from people's successes with digital front ends? (Anyone heard the JOB DAC?...especially compared to BelCanto or Perpetual Tech?) Thanks. Ernie
hey subaruguru, here's the only info i can give ewe, it only reinforces the importance of having a good preamp: my brother-in-law compared a resolution-audio cd-55 (retail $3500), w/an alchemist nexus (retail ~$1700). preamp used was the alchemist kraken (retail $1080). 1st he tried 'em straight-in to his a-r 100.2 amp, driving his proac 2.5's. the r/a was definitely better. then he ran 'em thru the preamp. the r/a was better in this fashion than run straight-in, but, when now comparing it to the kraken thru the preamp, he said it was splitting hairs to detect any difference. and this was w/a relatively inexpensive preamp. i a-b'd the alchemist cd player w/my cheap nad cd *changer*, and there was absolutely *no* difference, when they were run thru a cary slp98 preamp. draw your own conclusions... doug
Audio Research CD-2 is a great cd player. Excellent musical resolution and tonal balance. I have both the Meridian 508.24 and the Audio Research CD-2. The CD-2 is a very sweet and detailed player. Not as "in your face" as the Meridian.
If you can find a good price on Audio Research CDT-1 and DAC III Mark II, you will be pleased with the sound.
Get rid of the BP20! Put in a CJ10 preamp or YBA 3, you won't beleive the improvement. I just listened to it today. Speakers were JM Labs Cobalt 815's. We were using an Arcam 8se & 9. The CJ was by far a greater improvement than going from 8se to 9.