Is vinyl dead ?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of vinyl gear and accessories in the latest Audio Advisor catalogue ? Have sales slipped so much that they no longer feel the need to include this category of products in their catalogues ? Makes you wonder what's going on ??? Sean
>
sean
I've got one question for you folks since we're on the subject. I've recently seen some 45 rpm adapters for a Linn for sale. Why would anyone pay $79 for a used adapter when you can get those little white or plastic 45 rpm adapters brand new for about $2 a package ??? : ) Sean
>

PS... I don't think that vinyl is dead, i just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed AA's most recent catalogue.
Sean- I got a 45 adapter from Radio Shack for 79 cents.(last one in stock) Still overpriced :~) I wonder if shun mook has any for <$1000?
Sean, the 45 adapter for the Linn is a pulley to adjust the speed to 45rpm, not the little hole adapter to put in the record. They are high on pricing, but not THAT bad.
07-14-03: Jeffloistarca - p.s. you have to be tone deaf to think MP3's sound anything like music. No wonder they're free to download at will, no one in their right mind would actually buy a MP3 recording.
This is your opinion (and probably the opinion of many on this forum). But, again, for the majority of consumers MP3's sound just fine (even good!) and they are much more eager to pay for the songs that they actually want vs. paying for songs they don't like (such as on a LP or CD). This is already happening, and will continue to increase!

This really isn't just about convenience. For the majority of consumers (like it or not), CD's & MP3's sound just fine - even good - for all of their listening pleasures (not just "on the go")!

I forgot to mention this earlier...you can see this in all kinds of markets - like HDTV. The only reason we are getting HDTV is that it is being forced on broadcasters and consumers (and everyone in between) by the government (via the FCC). The majority of consumers don't care about the added quality of the picture (and isn't enough to bring about such a change - and isn't enough to sell HDTV products alone).

I don't know if this is still true (wouldn't be surprised if it were), but back in the 90's, I believe it was, the #1 speaker (based on number of units sold) was Radio Shack! Most people don't want "the best", they just want what fits them within their budget (or even less, so that they can spend money on what they really want to - such as their hobbies, etc.). For many (if not most) here on AudiogoN, "audiophile" activities (including vinyl) is at least somewhat of a hobby, thus the difference between those here and the "average consumer".

I find myself somewhere in the middle of the two...I want good quality but have a limited budget (as most here do). But, specifically as it relates to vinyl - most of the "software" (music) that I buy is not on LPs (and is a small niche market), so if I want to be able to purchase what I want to listen to...that means following the mainstream (for the most-part). Sure I can find some old stuff in my genre from time-to-time. But anything new will be on the mainstream distribution platform of the time.

And, again, for the record - I am not a "nay-sayer", I don't believe that vinyl will DIE...just that it will have a limited following (as it does currently). Sure it's numbers will fluctuate from time-to-time, but I don't believe that it will ever be in prominence as it once was.

Wes
Rockinroni,

You misunderstood my point about getting a turntable now. I agree that there are more good turntables available now than ever before. I'm not maintaining the supply of tables is about to drop. But, unless you live in or near a major City there aren't many shops that support analog. How many Linn dealers service LP 12's today as opposed to 1985? My point is to get a turntable that doesn't require much dealer support. I sold my LP 12 as the local shop bit the dust and I lost my set up tech. I selected a Basis/Graham because it sounds great and needs no adjusting once it's set up, which is easy. I would be very wary of buying a turntable today that is tempermental.