SACD finally taking-off? non-classical listeners

It looks like SACD might finally lift-off this fall with the Rolling Stones releases. The engineer claims the SACD revisions sound 40% better than the standard on these hybrids.(Ice Magazine)
Meanwhile, there are some interesting releases on DVD-A that are too interesting to forego; Fleetwood Mac "Rumours", and "Crowded House". Both redbook versions of these discs are non-listenable with good equipment.
What is the answer for a "2-Channel Person" who wants great sound without the "snap, crackle, and pop" of the LP?
Is there confidence that both of these formats will exist in two years?
Is the purchase of a dual SACD/DVD-A player foolish, or the only answer?

Please advise,
CB
cbucki
As far as I'm aware Rumours has never been remastered and it does have that typical mid-80's flat,quiet,dead sound that some early CD's have.
A friend of mine commented recently the Rumours tracks on a Fleetwood Mac greatest hits sounded a lot better than on the original CD.
As much as I'd like to see the new formats take off-I agree with my namesake Sd's post which accurately states the economic and market reasons why the odds are against them.
Interesting to note that Meridian's new state of the art digital set up,some £10k's worth ($16.5k?)totally ignores SACD-they've went DVDA with no plans for SACD...and even then the top man said he wasn't sure either format would survive
It's not that strange that Meridian are backing DVD-A as it is their code , the so called "loss less packing" that is used for DVD-A.

Jim
Bishopwill, your lack of experience with proper analog setups renders your comments uninformed and irritating as well.

If you believe the record companies invented and promoted the compact disc to help us audiophiles achieve high quality results you are sadly mistaken.
Albert Porter states that SACD and redbook (cds)will be around for a long time. My understanding is the redbook cd's have an expected life of 10-15 yrs; at some point physical decay sets in. Please don't laugh at this comment. I enjoy both cds and lps, but I've read along the way that cds will not have a long life. Has anyone read similar things?
Calm yourself, Albert. My goodness, such upset about such a little thing. I regret that you were offended; such was not my intention.

The fact is that I had several thousand LPs for many years, a fine analog setup, and a very dedicated and careful approach to cartridge and arm setup and record cleaning. As twl notes, good equipment reduces impulse noise. It does not totally eliminate it as you very well know. Some people "find it easy to disregard" as twl observes. Others do not.

I'll ignore your remark about CDs as it had nothing to do with my post and does not speak to my opinions.

This is supposed to be fun. Let's let it be so.

will