Digitally remastered vinyl?

I've noticed a quite a few jazz titles on vinyl which claim to be "digitally remastered", as if that is something good. These titles usually came out in the early eighties. As a vinyl nut, would I really want an LP where the music went through an A to D and then D to A conversion using eighties technology? Were the pro's using 24/96 or better back then? How do these remasters sound?
gboren
To my ears, TWL and Viridian are absolutely right, they sound mostly pretty flat on a good vinyl system.
Post removed 
Many of the early digitally mastered vinyl recordings sound harsh and thin. There are some gems from this era also. Like I've said so many times before, everybody along the chain must care a great deal to arrive at a great finished product. The concept of real professionals with excellent hearing and the experience required to get the desired end product is the biggest issue we consumers must contend with. Unfortunately, the great recording engineers during the pre-digital days were highly paid and intuitive (through experience) in their approach. The young technical types that replaced them lacked experience. It doesn't matter whether we are talking about an audio compact disc or a analog vinyl record, pick "one" best example and "one" worst example and play them. The best example is worth several thousand dollars in equipment upgrades. The worst example can't be made right regardless of the dollar investment in equipment. The upgrade heirarchy should start with the source and the real source is the studio work, artists included. Vinyl at it's best and digital at it's best are both great mediums with individual strengths and weaknesses.
Viridian, it is inherent in the playback of vinyl through the recovery of the signal from the grove, because of the 90 degree difference where the L and R signals are picked up. In a recording, some of the left signal is captured in the right channel and vice versa. That "bleed" is slightly out of phase with the opposite channels. If this is not permitted (highly isolated L & R channels), then reproduction of this by CD will not add this effect. If this same "poor" recording is, however, retrieved through vinyl, the inherent phasing effect of the cartridge puts some phase difference in the L & R signals, giving a more "real" sound.
Remember that one of the reasons that we can locate sounds in space is due to phase clues due to the slight arrival time differences in the left and right ears.
It is this phase difference and reverberation clues that enable us to get a feel for the size of the room in which a recording is made.

Vinyl playback of digital recordings in the late 70s, for the most part sounded very poor (DG's especially), but some were quite good after a while of learning how to do them properly. A well recorded CD (with the appropriate microphone set-up which allows some phase difference information in each channel) sound just as good as vinyl.

I am not surprised that you haven't heard of this explanation, since we just don't pay enough attention to recording process as a way of understanding the listening process.

BTW, it is exactly this hidden information in the L & R channels that is retrieved by the Hafler circuits for rear channels. On poor sounding CD's one does not retrieve as much signal for the rear channels as the same recording played back through vinyl, even though the source signals are the same - vinyl creates some of it to be retrieved. Trust me I have done the experiment to confirm this.
Post removed