CD vs. SACD vs. DVD-Audio vs Vinyl vs...

Which format do you like the most, or find to be the closest to the original master tapes? Or, if you attend live concerts (or play and instrument), which format do you prefer and why?
wenterprisesnw
I'm back. 0008: It's good that you have "little adventures" like that. I'd lay odds that the "plastic effect" you heard primarily was from the recording. But that terrible Focal tweeter in the Wilsons just "magnified" it. The Krell certainly wouldn't help something like that turn "creamy" either, and neither would the upsampling. THE TWEETER IN THE SONUS FABERS IS THE BEST DOME TWEETER IN THE WORLD. I own a pair of these domes, and if there was ever a soft dome that could soundly beat ANY metal dome, this is it!..........To Albert: Is the physical size of each tiny "grain" of 4x5 film the same physical size as 6x7 centimeter format film? I've seen photos enlarged to 30 by 40 inches with this format, and the resolution is stunning. IMAX movie film is also this 6x7 size...talk about something to judge future TV formats by!!
Oh, and about the CD50. I think they've stopped production on them for a while. I was just trying to get people to buy used ones, like I did. That's where the real value is, especially now.
Hi Albert, interesting camera story, but CD technology has had 20 years to mature and unless i'm mistaken, digital cameras are only beginning to make their presence felt. I have been lisening to a VAT amp with a Theta transport, DCS upsampling and Avalon speakers lately not the $150 CD players you mentioned. I also listen to a Sony cdp-CA9ES 5 disc CD changer through a Denon AVR-5700 , Monitor Audio speakers with a REL sub, Sony DVD-S7700 for Home Theater and background music for dinner. I loathe the Sony CD player but it was the only one that remembers programming for 172 discs. Does anyone know of a better CD player that retains programming? or is it worth hot rodding it? After working in the best recording studios in New York for 27 years I think I have a good idea what a master tape sounds like. I have not had as much experience with Vinyl gear as you have and agree with your opinion that today analogue does achieve superior sound when played through very high end systems. I think that the upcoming universal players (CD,SACD,DVD-A,) have the potential to equal or better the high end analogue systems at one fifth the price. I have heard both the CD and LP of recording sessions that I have participated in and the CD resembled the original event more accurately on a variety of good systems. I am still new to this type of forum and may not be as familiar with as many components as Carl and I am relly enjoying hearing about the speakers and CD players he is familiar with. I would appreciate your help with cable and speaker upgrades in my post about the AVR 5700.
Sorry about the typos. The amp is VAC renaissance 70 Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS preamp, DCS Delios and Purcell, Avalon Opus spkrs, Synergistic designer reference cable and Bybee power conditioner.
Hi Bmpnyc; If you can live with a single disc player, The Sony XA7ES has a disc/track/delete program memory for 224 discs. The XA7 is an excellent stand alone CD player or transport-- Stereophile Class A since it was introduced. I recently saw that it had been discontinued, but they are common on the used market, and are built like a tank ($3000. MSRP). BTW I also have a CA9ES. I run it into a Sonic Frontiers Ultra Jitter Bug via toslink, then to a Muse Model 2 DAC-- it sounds excellent, as good as the XA7, and I still have the convenience of the carosel and delete track programming. The SF Jitter Bugs are also available pretty inexpensively (MSRP $700.) either used or from SF, and besides jitter reduction, they convert toslink to Coax. The UJB was Stereophile class A when introduced. The Theta TLC and Monarchy DIP do the same things the UJB does, are effective, and available. I use Cardas Lightening digital cables with good results-- fast and neutral. Happy Listening.