Linn or VPI

Hi, My dilema is which new setup to purchase. The Linn with Lingo-Ekos+Linn cartridge or the VPI TNT with a Benz. Dealers have a preference to the product they sell. Both get great reviews but they seem to approach things differently.
Any input is much welcomed. I have Martin Logan's and Levinson amps and preamp.
Thanks,Elkyman
elkyman
I've owned both. You can't go wrong with either. I prefer
the TNT. The TNT has the blackest background I've ever experienced with analog. Once set up it stays that way.

Good luck,

Wendell
I had a full boat Linn front end, went from an Arkiv to a Ruby 2 and then to a Basis 2500, Graham 2.2 and a Ruby 2. I prefer the Ruby in both arms because it tracks much better than the Arkiv, is a little warmer and is much cheaper to retip. Of course your priority may be different.

I wouldn't buy a new Linn today. My Linn dealer lost their LP 12 expert and you must have dealer support for this table. It's been many years since Linn has done anything new with analog and I suspect it may get more difficult to get service in years to come. The EKOS is nearly a fifteen year old design. Of course when you have the support the Linn system stills sounds great.

I went with the Basis/Graham because it sounds better to me and I don't need a local dealer. Set up and cartridge swapping is a snap. The engineering of the arm and table gives me great confidence they will work for many trouble free years.

My new set up has a more exact sense of space and better bass precision. The instruments of a string quartet can be more easily placed, side to side and front to back, than before. There are no drawbacks I can hear.

I suspect the Graham arm is the reason behind the improvement. A Graham 2.2 in a Linn would be interesting to hear. Unless you are very skilled in set up, or have absolute confidence your Linn dealer will be there ten years from now, go with the TNT. But, if you can consider the Basis.
I have little experience with the Linn, but quite a lot with VPI. The TNT has been a great table, and a joy to make small changes over time--very modular. Also, I can say that VPI as a company and Harry Weisfield are a real pleasure to deal with. The products are well engineered, well made, and easily upgradeable. Customer service is excellent--as any small high end company should be. There's really not much more I could ask for. I also own Martin Logans and Levinson.