Tonearm/cartridge sugestions for an Oracle Delphi?

I have an Oracle Delphi mk II and I would like some advice regarding the selection of a new tonearm and cartridge.

I currently have a Grace 707 with Grace P9 cartridge and also a Sumiko Premier MMT with Sumiko Talisman S cartridge. Both arms appear to be in perfect condition, but I don't know the condition of the cartridges - I'll assume that since they are both fairly old models that they likely need replacing.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on this - perhaps an used tonearm in the $400 range and a new cartridge in the $300 range. Can anyone provide some suggestions that would be suitable for this table?

Also, I may be looking at this wrong - perhaps I should be using one of the tonearms I have and just spending more on a cartridge. But I really have no clue as to the quality of the tonearms I have. Comments on what I have already would be welcome.

RLW
phydeaux
Both tonearms and cartridges you mention are excellent on their own and excellent matches for each other. All were considered "budget" state of the art in their time. The Grace is perhaps "warm" and the Talisman "exact" but I could live with either on the Delphi. I don't think you need to replace either one. What is the condition of the cartridges? What is in the rest of your system? You may want to contact Sumiko to see if they can examine/service the Talisman, I believe that was their cartridge, and if memory serves, perhaps the Grace was their import also. If you have a good analog dealer they can also help out.
I have a Delphi MkII/III with a Sumiko FT-4 Arm. The MMT was their entry level arm (about $300) and they sold tons of them, The FT-4 was $550. At the time Sumiko also sold the SME 309 for $950 and the SME IV for $1500. (To give you a frame of reference on the arm.) The MMT was the respected entry level arm of the day (When Rega wasn't available). The FT-4 is from the same family as the MMT with upgraded bearings, wire, & etc. Though it does a nice job, I intend to replace it one of these days, but feel that I would need to spend close to a thousand to make a difference.

If I were you, I would put the Grace on your table. I think it is the better of the two arms and put your $400 toward better cartridge. I run a Grado Sonata ($500 retail) and am very happy with it. If you want to start out on a tighter budget; the Ortofon OM-30 was recently favorable reviewed by TAS. I used to run Ortofon OM series MM's on lesser turntables and they sounded very good. Good Luck.
Your cartridges, if not worn out, are too old now to expect them to be at their best. Assuming proper care, the arms should be fine.

The Grace is a low mass design, which also lacks rigidity, due to the slim arm tube. It should be paired with a medium to high compliance cartridge for best results. I think a Goldring 1042 Gyger II would sound good in that arm.

The MMT arm is a medium mass, maybe even leaning towards the higher mass end if it is the "S" shape one. I like a Dynavector 10x4 MkII for that price range in this arm.
Hello
I have just replaced a customers Mission tonearm on an early Delphi AC with a Rega RB250. This is a very inexpensive tonearm that can be upgraded when needed with the Origin Live Structural mod and wiring.
The Rega line of arms are the most popular starting point for upgrading the old Delphi's along with the Oracle Maint. kit. With a new arm you may need new springs to properly balance the table along with a new armboard. Let me know if I can be of any help. I could come close to the $400 price point with the arm , armboard and kit.- Jody
Use the Grace. Get a new cartridge that matches the arm. Nothing much can happen to the arm over the years, unless it is damaged by some incident/accident. The cartridge is more delicate and a number of parts can be affected by environmental conditions. The stylus of a used cartridge should be assumed as requiring replacement, until proven otherwise. The problem is that very few people are equipped to properly ascertain the condition of a stylus. Even in the heyday of vinyl, shops had a microscope to look like the real deal but never had any competent personnel to use it. When in doubt, change the stylus. Since MCs usually have non-user replaceable styli, the safest course is a new cartridge. Once a record has been subjected to a bad stylus, it will never be the same again...