PC Challenge Test Results

As a result of the "PC challenge" thread, I've now had a chance to put a high-end aftermarket PC to the test in my system. First, sincere thanks go to Albert Porter for helping to set up the test, and especially to Jim of Purist Audio for his hospitality in loaning me a PC. Jim also was quite gracious about how long the testing took.

Jim sent me one of his Dominus power cords. This PC clearly uses very, very high quality components and the level of construction appears outstanding; this is certainly a PC at the highest level. I'd guess that you could jump-start a car with this wire! I don't know if this cord costs $50 or $5000 (bet it's closer to the latter), nor did I want to, to avoid possibly influencing the test.

My initial listening took two approaches. After having powering-up the cable for 72 hours as was recommended, I listening in a very relaxed manner, without trying to identify any specific differences. Did my system seem more or less enjoyable than I remember? The answer is yes, it did seem more enjoyable; there seemed to be less "stuff" getting in the way of the music perhaps, a clear although not huge difference, and there also seemed more of a foundation to the music. The question then became whether or not I could pick out specific differences? Again, compared to my recollection of the system sound the answer is yes. While the changes were relatively subtle there appeared to be more and better bass (slightly deeper and more defined, more of a visceral impact) and the vocals somewhat more natural - less "in your face", perhaps. The lack of bass depth is an inherent shortcoming of my system, but the vocals had never stood out as a problem area before. Overall, the sound seemed more transparent, quite a feat given I think that's one of the primary strengths of my system. Bottom line for this part of the evaluation: the Purist PC definitely added to the system, although subtly.

Now, that being said there I had some very strong concerns on the above given that this was a sighted evaluation. It could very well have been that I expected and was listening for exactly those effects (not the vocals, though - that surprised me), or that my audio memory of the previous setup was flawed. I wanted to try some blind evaluations as a test. I have no ABX-type of setup, so was unable to conduct any tests that I'd consider truly scientific, but tried something that was informative nonetheless. With the help of my brother, we did some rapid-switch testing: he flipped a coin and either switched between the Purist PC and stock, or not. I typically listened for 2-3 minutes to the Purist before the switch/not-switch and an equivalent time after before deciding, and got 7 right out of 12 trials; we then tried it with the stock cable first and I got 5 out of 8. I've not yet hauled out my old statistics textbooks, but am pretty sure that this would fail most reasonable hypothesis (say, "there are sufficient differences (95% confidence level) between these PCs that I can identify them correctly 80% of the time).

So what does this mean? Nothing beyond that it appears, in my system, that I probably cannot discern any purely audible differences between my stock cord and the Purist. Any broader conclusion is unsupportable from my testing alone, although I do suspect that equivalent results would hold for the population at large. But - and this is a big but (no jokes, please!) - before the blind testing I did perceive an improvement in my system; for many, this is sufficient and they may gain a real benefit from aftermarket PCs. In my case, though, I'm better off adding a sub than investing in aftermarket PCs.

Cheers,
JHunter
jhunter
JHunter, I think the above posts express it well. Thanks for taking the time to run the test and providing your unbiased results.
Thank-you Jhunter for the time and willingness to test the cable. As expected we solved nothing, only raised more questions. I agree with Albert that the second part of the test has potential for error, but I'm happy you made the effort.

I think the true test will be in time. Will you decide your missing "something" when you send back the cords, or will you remain content with the system as it was.

I wish we could have resolved this issue, in that it becomes very old and tiring, but so far we have not. Thanks again for the open mind. (that's really all I'm looking for) J.D.
Like all the others have stated, thanks for posting your HONEST results. All of our "debates" here have NOT been in vain if we help open minds and explore new avenues that some folks otherwise might have left alone. Once again, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sean
>
As the others, I thank you for your sincerity and honesty. Please don't take this personally, but:

1. I don't know many people with requisite experience in listening who also don't know that Purist cables, and particulary the Dominus line, are very expensive, relatively speaking.

2. You should be able to hear a difference on the Plinius in terms of bass registers, but, to be frank, your system, although well thought out, is not of the caliber to benefit from a cable like the Dominus PC or the like (eg. NBS Statement I on Pre's/CD, Electraglide FatBoy on amps, etc.)in terms of harmonic and spatial effect.

3. Most people who would be interested in a Dominus-level PC already know, as Porter alludes, that NBS, Purist et al are very suceptible to movement. Whether you ascribe to the theory that the dialectric needs to re-form, or whatever, the fact is that, once moved, the cable needs at minimum 48hrs play-time to "re-settle". Absent that time - and I submit that its more like 100 hrs to get everything back - the cable will sound brittle on breath transients, lean on harmonics and phasey.

Well-intentioned and well written. But again, with respect, I believe that the experiment - if it truly wishes to aspire to the rigors of ratio-empiric method - must be examined in light of these deficient variables. But, don't stop, keep going. The essence of empiric method is trial and error, and those erros many times occur in our original assumptions that underlie our experiments.

As Sean says, your passion is what is most admirable. Don't stop, keep going.
Great experiment, Jhunter! Re, remarks regarding "cable disturbing" etc. Just came across a professional catalogue on equipment & installations destined to electricians issued by Legrand, a french electrical equipment multinational.

Samples of advice for "...when installing cabling... particularly conducting inconsistent loads, or powering inconsistent circuits especially ones with variations in the frequencies carried (audio, voice, voice & data)..."
*ensure that cables running in parallel are physically 15cm apart regardless of insulation quality
*do not bend the cables abruptly (energy loss in low voltage situations!). Rather, create space for large diametre turns and hide the cables appropriately.
*If you encounter temporary cable overlapping, ensure 90 degrees cross at the cables meeting point.
*At very low voltages with high frequency variation, measure losses before final installation. Use SSTP cables or any other balanced conductor specially designed for such applications.
*Ensure all connections are according to norm and connectors used... withstand weather and pollution conditions. If in doubt, or measured losses are high, try direct connection with end appliance without external connector.
*For dependable readings, allow the installation to reach an electrical "balance situation". Make sure you connect a proxy load at reception end asap if the installation is uni-directional. Allow your system to repose at least 1 hr. with a load while you continue other work. Readings will not be reliable unless the installation reaches this balance! Do not allow variations of more than 5% in readings within the same 30 mins!
*Measure airbound losses -- if exposed cables do not give steady reading, switch the meter to "save" and physically move the exposed part of the cables. Differences of more than 7% may mean re-installation! Please consult our technical dep'timmediately before removing the installation!

All I'm saying after this long blurb (thanks for the hospitality Jhunter & all) is: industrial application are doing some of the things we heatedly debate!
For me, voodoo because I can hardly understand the intro to a physics handbook let alone install industrial norm cabling. For others, all in a day's work!

I mean, there must be *some* resident EEs at Legrand, ABB, motorola, etc, surely. What if EEs wrote this stuff?
How come they don't post here?