SOLDER Help

I have an acquaintance who uses a exotic solder that on a/b comparisons beats anything I have ever heard. He willingly will solder up cables and connections for me, but will not reveal what this solder is. Finished joint/connection is a dull grey, not bright and clean as you would normally expect. Could also be an exotic FLUX/cleaner. Would like to do my own soldering, as his time is very limited, and sometimes the wait is considerable.

Would appreciate any suggestions or leads. Thanks:
sinbad
Go over to AudioAsylum, search 'solder' on the Bottlehead forum. More info than you ever wanted on types and techniques. Cardas, Wonder and Radio shack lead free with 3% silver seem to be leading the league.
Albert: Must have been one of those "solder is solder" types. You can also bet that they do not work for NASA in an electrical facility.
Just a note...lead content solders tend to look very shiney and silvery and smooth when done well. Lead free solders are usually duller (grayer, by your definition?) and don't look as liquid smooth, even when properly done. They have a very high tin content.