John Dunlavy On "Cable Nonsense"

Food for thought...

http://www.verber.com/mark/cables.html
plasmatronic
Well I'm impressed by your diligence. Thank you very much for sharing your results and for taking the time and putting in the effort to do this. Here I am conjuring up all kinds of digital computer measurements, and you just go out and do the obvious test. Bravo!

Since I've heard big differences in midrange performace from cables, I can easily believe a 1db difference from cables. Frankly, from what I've experienced in the difference between the cheapest and some of the best silver cables, I'm surprised it isn't closer to 3db difference in the 3k-5khz band.

Gpalmer, you rule.
I presume the meter was FIXED on to a stand or tripod, and that the equipment was not changed in setting or other value. I think you said that you ran several iterations of the test to verify results - which would tend to verify them.

One also has to be certain of YOUR physical position at the time you take the measurements, it should be the same (of course, ideally, you wouldn't have to be close to the mic at all.

I'd like to know what the physical geometry of the cables are, both like zip cord? And what speakers and amp are you using? Do you know the impedance and phase plots for it?

The next relatively easy test to make is a gross inductance and gross capacitance check using a DVM that has these functions. Of course slicker methods would be nice, but at least you'll have a first step.

Anyhow the results you find are indicative of either major differences in C & L between these two cables, and perhaps a major interaction with the crossover components in the speakers.

_-_-bear
bearlabs.com
The meter was fixed on a tripod. My position varied, it was behind the meter, but I made no attempt to position myslef in one place.

The Monster was Zip cord, while the Argent cable was a shielded design (not sure of exactly what was inside). The speakers were a set of Legacy Classics, the amplifier was a Denon AVC-3030. No idea of the impedance and phase plots for the speakers.

I have made some major changes in my system since then. The Classics are now being driven in a vertical biamp configuration with a Sunfire Cinema Grand, which really flattened the bass.

I will be getting some JPS Ultraconductors as soon as the person I bought them from ships them (They've been very delayed). I can post some new results then.

Bear -> I don't have a DVM. Can you recommend one of reasonable quality and price for a hobbyist? I no longer have the Argent cable (returned it to the person who loaned it to me), but it would be interesting to have one around for occasional use.
Apparently the way to measure these things is with a nice high end digital oscilliscope with storage and analsysis capabilities.