Power Cord Challenge

I've got a couple of weeks off before starting a new job. As I clearly fall into the camp of those who suspect no purely audible differences exist (except in pathologic cases of too-small cords or RFI interference), here's a challenge:

If you live in the San Jose, CA area, let's get together and put this to the test. Your system, your choice of music, I supply a stock power cord to test against your exotic. We play both cords blind (identified as A and B) for a reasonable amout of time; I then play one of the two (randomly chosen through a coin flip) for a reasonable amount of time and you identify it as either A or B. We'll do 10 trials for some statistical significance.

Given that some claim drastic and easily heard differences ("blacker background", "music is more alive", etc., etc., etc.), it should be trivial to get right and shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes per trial. The kicker: you get 9 or 10 right and I'll give you $500! The downside: 8 or less correct and you donate $250 to the Red Cross. Hey, I'm even giving you 2 for 1 odds!

Regardless of the outcome, we post the results to this site. Any takers?

Cheers,
JHunter
jhunter
Hey! What's goin on in here. Where do I send the money. Who's doin what? We need to pick teams. We need some action and some details. Is this because of those power problems out there?
Hey, again! Pls, don't forget to post results! I'm ~25.000 transatlantic miles away and impatiently awaiting...
Cheers!
Jhunter: This reminds me of the James Randi Educational Foundation's $1 million challenge to psychics and such to prove a paranormal occurrence. There have been several who accepted the challenge when put on the spot (like on a TV show) but never followed through afterward. A true test would be refreshing.
I'm close to San Jose and very interested in the results of this experiment, but I don't like the idea of putting money on the line. Why is that necessary? Dan
An interesting thought. I have an idea on how to improve the test, and maybe a helpful analogy to explain my reasoning.
First off, I admit to believing in ICs, PCs, etc. That said, I think it would be hard to say "that is cord A or B" after listening to the PCs separately. There was an article a few yrs back in one of the Mid-fi mags re this with a similar experimental setup using ICs and pretty much everyone failed at achieving 9/10. Anyway, sorry for the detour... back to my analogy...

Look at two color cards of similar shades of a color (or shades of white/off white that the dentist shows you before offering a tooth whitening service). Pick ones that are a shade or two off from each other- easily discernable when put alongside each other. Now close your eyes and remove one of the cards. Look at the remaining card (you can open your eyes now). I would be very surprised if you could tell which color is which, unless you could see them next to each other.

I think the way to run this test is to listen to both cables each time you choose and pick which one is which after hearing them quickly back to back, rather than one cable isolated each time.

The audible difference using non-stock PCs in my system is a subtle but noticeable change. It is easiest to appreciate when I have listened to my system for a while, and then notice a haze is lifted (or added) with a new PC change, or IC change, whatever. Most of my system's components remain in my system for a good time (or at least as long as the next audiophile's) and I think that PCs are a fine tuning tweak, and at the risk of pising someone off, they don't make a huge difference, but it is a real one.

I think your idea is a great one, but I have no need to prove to anyone what I believe, much less put money on it. However, I would be interested in your session in Ventura if it happens. It would cerainly be a fun learning experience, as well as a good music session. I live around 45 minutes from there and would bring a few good CD's and PCs, and some better imbibitions. Thanks for the thread,

Todd