Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
Audiolabyrinth, why dont you head on over to the Tesla forums and try to convince them that electric automobiles are a bust. You may have better luck there - too many of us are enjoying the music here.
Enjoy the music, I believe I have made a valid point about usb cables and what is and is not true computer audio, gentleman, enjoy the thread, I have said all I can here, carry on.
7-25-14: Audiolabyrinth
Enjoy the music, I believe I have made a valid point about usb cables and what is and is not true computer audio, gentleman, enjoy the thread, I have said all I can here, carry on.
Audiolabyrinth (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

labyrinth, what does your system consist of? What % of expenditure do your cables comprise? I do agree that cables can have a major impact on a system, but the impact can vary based on other variables such as noise floor.

Does anyone have experience regarding the optimal way to process and transmit DSD and hi rez files. On the contrary, does anyone their "computer" optimized to the point where file resolution is of no importance?
No two anything perform exactly the same, but to date difference from one SPDIF digital cable to another is not significant to me. Differences with many analog wires I try are. Many other things that have much more significant effects on the sound, in practice as well as in theory it seems, and are much better places for one to invest their time getting the sound just right.

Not to say all digital wires always sound the same....just that I do not hear enough difference to date in general to be concerned about it when things are already sounding excellent on the grand scale of things. My mistake maybe, but one I can live with easily.

USB digital connections is the one type I suspect will tend towards more noticeable variation in sound quality case by case depending on implementation, which is why I am happy I have mostly been able to avoid having to deal much with those to-date. USB, unlike SPDIF is not designed solely for audio, so many outcomes are possible.

WHen the time comes, I will shoot for an asynchronous USB implementation where DAC-side clock rather than general purpose computer manages timing and required bandwidth reliably and use a USB wire of good quality from a reputable maker like I do with most things and expect that to do the job quite well.
No response from Audiolabyrinth regarding his system???

No two anything perform exactly the same, but to date difference from one SPDIF digital cable to another is not significant to me. Differences with many analog wires I try are.
Mapman, I have heard sizable differences with digital cabling. Some cable manufacturers tell me it can be the most sensitive of all. The best RCA SPDIF cabling I have owned were the Teos liquid cables. I have heard others say Rick Schultz's stuff is the shizzle. Who knows.

USB digital connections is the one type I suspect will tend towards more noticeable variation in sound quality case by case depending on implementation, which is why I am happy I have mostly been able to avoid having to deal much with those to-date. USB, unlike SPDIF is not designed solely for audio, so many outcomes are possible.

Agreed. I am in the middle of muddling through that.

WHen the time comes, I will shoot for an asynchronous USB implementation where DAC-side clock rather than general purpose computer manages timing and required bandwidth reliably and use a USB wire of good quality from a reputable maker like I do with most things and expect that to do the job quite well.

I also agree. I have heard that the Trinity dac's USB implementation is impervious to source, reclockers, etc. That is really the ideal. I think its a weakness of many current designs that you need all this extra crap...