How can power cords make a difference?

I am trying to understand why power cords can make a difference.

It makes sense to me that interconnects and speaker cables make a difference. They are dealing with a complex signal that contains numerous frequencies at various phases and amplitudes. Any change in these parameters should affect the sound.

A power cord is ideally dealing with only a single frequency. If the explanation is RF rejection, then an AC regeneration device like PS Audio’s should make these cords unnecessary. I suppose it could be the capacitance of these cables offering some power factor correction since the transformer is an inductive load.

The purpose of my post is not to start a war between the “I hear what I hear so it must be so” camp and the “you’re crazy and wasting your money,” advocates. I am looking for reasons. I am hoping that someone can offer some valid scientific explanations or point me toward sources of this information. Thanks.
bruce1483
Hi 702, could you define "proper double-blind test" for me. After hearing the ICs and speaker cable from the Sakura OTA kit I agree with 702 that the fancy special cables arent necessarily better. In fact I have yet to hear anything as good as the OTA wire. I can't help but think that I have been getting shafted by the wire MFG. for all these years. But no more. When $12,000 worth of wire gets spanked by $300 worth of OTA wire it gets me a little pissed. Live and learn I guess.
Hey Dekay, you gonna try making a PC out of the OTA? I'll be more than happy to go in on it again.
Hi Bruce: No, I am afraid of burning the home front down with any DIY PC that I would attempt (regardless of what wire was used). I also gave most of my extra cable to a friend to use as speaker wire and just have enough left for additional IC's (never did do the second system). I think that the next experiment will be bi-passing the RCA's (on one end of the IC's) with a direct soldered connection. I just purchased a used TDS Audiophile and thought that I would try it on this. I would also like to try this with my speakers (bi-pass the binding posts), but have not built up the nerve yet. Maybe JC will want to try making up a PC, he certainly has the know how?
702, So Bill Johnson, Richard Vandersteen, Arnie Nudell, Mark Levinson(the man), Jim Winey, and other manufacturer/designers are all hearing things(these are NOT cable manufacturers) when they tell you to use "tweako" cables to make their products sound best. Right??
Thanks Frap, one of the points that I have continually brought up to 702, in an attempt to show that the engineering side of the business believes in the same high performance equipment that we audiophiles do.

There is absolutely nothing for Richard Vandersteen, Steve McCormack and other famous audio engineers to gain by praising these aftermarket products. In fact some customers could perceive that their products are flawed in requiring these expensive cables to perform optimally. Not a great marketing position unless they truly believe.

The only possible reason for their position is they hear the difference, they enjoy the improvements and they are willing to spend their hard earned cash to back up their convictions.

People who's value system is different, could and perhaps should avoid these upgrades. I understand too, those who share the passion but fail to commit due to budget, wife or conscience. If the latter is the real issue, this is the appropriate place to perform the infamous double blind test. Sit quietly and see if your conscience is filled with "sour grapes" convictions, severely limiting your minds eye the ability to hear the beauty of what these products offer.
Dekay- Brulee just brought the subject of a PC to my attention. I'll take a look around here. I'm sure I have a few IEC and 15A connectors here someplace. However, I hope to be moving soon, so I can't promise exactly when this little endeavor will be completed. (Most of my collection of parts are in boxes, in anticipation of the 'new' house).