Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
I'll be steering clear of proprietary hardware and software as much as possible moving forward, especially any computer hardware from one off companies.

This stuff is still changing to rapidly. I think Android makes a versatile platform for companies to build high quality digital A/V applications on.

A standardized digital output that can feed a high quality DAC of ones choice is all that is really needed.
7-16-14: Mapman:
"do wonder if anyone considering computer audio "a bust" have ever done such an apples and apples comparison into same DAC of course feeding the same system?

That's a valid apples/apples test. Otherwise, it is not apples/apples and highly DAC dependent and all bets should be off."

I have been able to do such a comparison when originally considering investing in a computer audio system utilizing the Esoteric K-03. Three different scenarios where reviewed:

- Spinning Discs in Esoteric K-03
- Playing via Esoteric K-03 Async USB input from headless (modified) Mac Mini
- Playing same titles via USB > Bel Canto RefLink USB Converter > SPDIF out to K-03 SPDIF input.
(Utilizing Amarra 3.0 for music playback)

I can only confirm, to my ears, option 3 here has finally provided me SQ equivalent to playing RDCD's via the K-03 transport....not without many modifications along the way.
Alex, this mirrors what my audio acquaintances (one of whom was using a top of the line Offramp) have discovered. What are the reasons for this?

Agear, In my experience, the biggest enemy of computer audio is the multiple switching power supplies used inside.

In my opinion, any audio equipment using switching power lacks the naturalness, refinement and richness of pure analog in comparison. The two most pronounced artifacts of gear using swathing power is the reduced low octave bass and also strained/metallic/glared upper mids and highs (high piano notes hurt my ears).

As mentioned on these threads earlier, we designed and build a computer that runs on all-linear power (with external linear power supply) that sounds very close to my digital transport. Yesterday I installed a linear power on my USB to PCIe card that made another change in the right direction. Next will be to run the memory on linear power as well, leaving just the processor core on switching.

Such computer is indeed very very good sounding with a hair-splitting difference compared to my DTR. However, we are talking about something quite expensive, so why not just spin your favorite discs. :-)

Best wishes,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi
I bemoan the unintended consequences of digital technology--from the idling of workers, to looking at a screen instead of being in the physical world. There is also something elegant and beautiful about analog solutions, be they fascinating tonearms, exotic cables, are engineering monuments for spinning a CD.

That said, a quality USB cable can do a phenomenal job of delivering a digital stream from a computer to a DAC, where the final quality and subjective preference is determined by the chosen DAC.
Very interesting Nonoise. It is limited to Redbook, but that's 99% of most music libraries. I have other industry friends who argue the problem is not source material but hardware. Redbook done right is more than good enough. DSD and hi rez are not a necessary parachute in their minds. Just better transports. That is honestly the logic behind this thread.