Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear

Showing 2 responses by gocubs999

Building/having a computer audio set up is, the way I see it, no different then having a CDP (Digital source), Turntable (Analog rig), Reel to Reel set up, etc... I never considered it a replacement for the others I have, but; another option.

The search to build a CA system with comparable SQ, just supported the hobby of chasing audio nirvana I have been sucked into. LOL.

I have reached a point recently with minor upgrades where the SQ of my CA system is 99% as accurate as spinning cd's and records - in my system. That said, I enjoy listening to all equally.

Still cannot deny the benefits a Computer Audio System brings:
- Hanging out on the Terrace and being able to change music at will (60 ft. away) with an iPad.....without spilling my drink
- Being able to hand an iPad to visitors too browse and choose what they prefer.
- Having the convenience of viewing all of your music at a glance to enhance listening sessions encompassing various genre's, artists, etc.

Happy Listening!
7-16-14: Mapman:
"do wonder if anyone considering computer audio "a bust" have ever done such an apples and apples comparison into same DAC of course feeding the same system?

That's a valid apples/apples test. Otherwise, it is not apples/apples and highly DAC dependent and all bets should be off."

I have been able to do such a comparison when originally considering investing in a computer audio system utilizing the Esoteric K-03. Three different scenarios where reviewed:

- Spinning Discs in Esoteric K-03
- Playing via Esoteric K-03 Async USB input from headless (modified) Mac Mini
- Playing same titles via USB > Bel Canto RefLink USB Converter > SPDIF out to K-03 SPDIF input.
(Utilizing Amarra 3.0 for music playback)

I can only confirm, to my ears, option 3 here has finally provided me SQ equivalent to playing RDCD's via the K-03 transport....not without many modifications along the way.