analog newbie

i am seriously considering getting into the world of analog playback. right now i lack a phono stage, but will likely purchase the tube stage for my rogue 99 preamp, to avoid the expense of a chasis and phono cables. i want to make sure vinyl is something i will continue to collect before making a real investment.
after the rogue phono stage is bought i will have little budget for a new turntable so i am considering using my fathers kenwood table that dates back to the early 1980's, i know it is operational as i used it at least once when i had a preamp w/ phono stage a few months ago.
a few years ago i replaced the cartridge with a grado model, about $50-60, don't recall what model.
i am concerned about damaging some of my lps, particularly about a dozen or so blues lps that were hard to find (hopkins, sonny terry, brownie mghee, memphis slim, furry lewis, etc) the vinyl seems to be in decent condition and i'd like to keep it that way.
so i figure i should replace the cartridge with a new one at about the same price point since this is no kick-ass table.
what can i do on a tight budget to protect my lps, most of which probably need to be cleaned very well before another playback. i was using the simple discwasher system but i get the feeling this was removing surface dust only, and moving it around more than from the lp surface.
can anyone recommend a handwash regimen, in detail as i am a vinyl neophyte, or some other tried and true lp maintenance system to prolong/preserve lp playback?
or am i simply better off with a cleaning machine? some seem to prefer handwashing for truly dirty lps i think and machines for basic maintenance thereafter, do i have this right?
also, what basic tools/accessories should i have on hand for vinyl playback, now or in the future as my budget allows me to become more and more serious.

down the road, if i find vinyl to be something i enjoy, i currently plan on purchasing a basis/graham combo with a decent cartridge from dynavector, ortofon, etc.
fujindemon
I'm from the old school: liquid Ivory soap applied with a fine sponge then thoroughly rinsed form the record surface. Regarding the Discwasher System, most people do not know how to use it and then blame the tool...I was one of those. Yo should NOT wet the record surface or apply pressure. The fluid's purpose is to moisten the fibers so that they can pick up dust without creating too much static. The pad is rotated to facilitate dust pick up as it is consistently moved in the direction of the arrow. Simple, isn't it?

According to Albertporter, the Nitty Gritty scratches records.

Record wear will depend on two things:

1) Record/stylus hygiene.
2) Proper cartridge mounting and calibration.

Get the tools to do the job right.
nitty gritty does not scratch records unless you mix sand or broken glass into the cleaning solution.

the library of congress uses them to keep their classic vinyl clean. they wouldn't do so if it were scratching them.

besides that, i know from firsthand experience that they don't.

don't use a wet system without a vacuum. you're just moving the dirt from the surface (where it's okay to to have it) into the grooves (where it will make noise).
The best Cleaning system out there is The Disc Doctor.It does not use a vacuum and works great.
So anyone who makes a claim about if you go wet you must vacuum is dead wrong.
The only drawback is you need elbow grease.
That is the problem.Most people want convinience.
Thats why fast food takes like crap.Its convienient so is using a vacuum.Its not the best way but the easy way.
Lazurus28 you will probably walk around your living room for 5 minutes looking for the remote rather than walking up to the tv and changing it without.
Natalie: I also use a vintage record care products with AR record cleaner/conditioner.
From what I've learned it is necessary to clean out the dust first from record, than twist or clap the conditioning brush from the dust, than apply a smallish amount of professional liquid onto the conditioning brush and cover up the record. Massage on the surface along the groves until you see it's already dry and shiny.
Still before placing the stylus on the record I use a sweep brush.