advice for an old newbie

after a 23 year hiatus from vinyl i now want to jump back in. am considering a beginner's package of Pro-Ject (Austrian) Perspective turntable with Pro-ject tone arm & Benz low-end MC cartridge. package costs $1100. is this a reasonable system for an old newbie ? any other suggestions for the same budget ? Thanks. Bob.
ryllau
I have enjoyed upgrading my VPI turntable over the years. I started with the Jr. and have worked my way up to the mk4 with JMW Memorial arm and Benz Glider catridge. I would suggest a table that you can upgrade.
some excellent suggestions. i side , tho, with sedond and jim. the best of both worlds is to find a used basis 1400. shouldn't be too hard given aj's (conti) upgrade path. -kelly
Are you a record collector? If so, there is only one undisputable choice available nowadays...

I looked at the Perspective, Rega Planars, Music Hall MMF5, Sota Comet and the Technics SL-1200MK2.

Choices came down to Sota Comet w/Rega 300 arm vs Technics SL-1200MK2(modified: Sumiko headshell w/silver litz wires, Cardas tonearm wire, Phoenix Gold interconnect, silver solder throughout and later, a tonearm fluid damper assembly from www.kabusa.com).

I chose the Technics. Most reliable TT around. When completely modified, it will be able to use low output MC cartridges, as well as those for 78s. Try that with any of the above turntables. Try cleaning your records on the platter...try getting a service manual...try getting parts ten years from now.

Hope this serves you well.
Thanks for your inputs. I'm also putting Nottingham Space or Hyperspace with Space Tonearm on my short list. These are U.K. units & seem to be well built. Looks great too.
Has anyone auditioned these units.
Ryllau, the basic issue is whether you intend to collect records or listen to the audiophile vinyl pressings that are being released nowadays. If it's the first, I have shown you the best way to go. I gave it lots of thought. If it's the second, the members who have suggested turntables with an upgradeability path, such as Sota and VPI, have showed you the way, too. You must decide what your musical goal is first.