RIAA Curve on LPs same for CDs?

For years all of us have seen the RIAA symbol on the back of many LPs. I wonder is the CD format adhere to the same standard? I know someone in audigon has the answer.
ferrari
Both of the above are correct and pretty much answer your question. The RIAA equalization is built into a phono stage, which, along with added gain, is why you run your turntable into a phono stage and not a line stage. Since you don't need that equalization for the CDs, they can run through a line stage, or direct into an amplifier.
Well that certainly clears the air. Thanks so much for the information,greatly appreciated. I can always count on audiogon members. To the respondents of this thread my heartfelt thanks.
Some CD player or DAC have de-emphasis filter which is a form of equalization used in both analog FM tuners and CD players to reduce noise and distortion in program material that has received pre-emphasis. If you have a lof of CD collection with pre-emphasis recording, it is highly desireble that your CD or DAC has de-emphasis filter.
Sk- My CAL LC-10 has demphasis but it has never lit. I wonder if it was turned off in the software (bought it used) Can you provide a rock, bluegrass or folk type CD that was recorded (is that the right term?) with pre-emphasis so I can check this out? In addition to intellectual curiosity, some CDs just sound a little "hot" and I've always wondered if this is the reason. And thanks to Richard for his detailed explanation. I always knew it was a kind of equalization to make up for some quirks in the LP medium, but didn't know exactly what. Your frequent and generous sharing of your knowledge helps make this a great site.
Hi Swampwalker, if you get the chance check out the Stereophile Test CD1, track[19] (J.S. Bach: Concerto in d, after Vivaldi, BWV 596, Allegro) as this track was recorded with pre-emphasis. Seasons greeetings to you all, regards, Richard at www.vantageaudio.com