Need a Basic Education on the LP12

I have a Linn LP12, but have not used it much lately (or ever, really) since my preamp does not have a phono stage (Audio Research LS7). I recently purchased a Creek OBH-8 phono preamp and would like to start using the Linn more. However, I need an education, I believe. What different power supplies, bearings, and suspensions are there? Is there any differences between any of the tables themselves other than the wood? I have the Basik Tonearm and Cartridge. If I am going to upgrade the unit at all, which upgrades would make the most improvement? (i.e. tonearm)

-Todd
t-peters96e2
Timwat -- ouch. Truth hurts.

That cartridge sounds like a K9, which used to come on the Basik as a package. I would go next to an Akito/Klyde in your position, t. The Creek can hold it's own until you can take a big step to something like the Linto.
The Van Halen version of the Lp12 at this point in life can be expected to have power supply failure. These failures can, in my experience be cured by replacing the power supply caps on the board..Tom
Get a used Ittok and a cartridge within your budget. Of course, a better cartridge, like the Shelter is a great move if you can afford it. I currently use a Blue Point Special and realize it's marginal but nevertheless, it's very enjoyable.
Todd, The Origin live silver arm with Tom's hi fi mod and a shelter 501 cartridge is state of the art, at it's price point. You will have to spend thousands of $$$$$$ to beat it's stellar performance. I wonder how much better it could possibly be? That's why I recommend them
Ron
Todd,I used to have a Basik Plus arm.Replaced it with a WTA arm. BTW there is a good write up of Well Tempered in the current Absolute Sound. This was an ear opening experience. The WTA is in a completely different league to the Basik Plus. I AB'ed it against an Ittok and it blew that away also. Far superior definition in the bottom end and far greater extension at both frequency extremes.Occasionally you can find a used WTA on A'Gon.I highly recommend this arm as the best upgrade for the buck.