Do stands make a difference for equipment?

Does the kind of stand you use make a difference, especially with components other than turntables? I realize how much difference a good stand can make for a TT, but does it make much of a difference for your preamp, CD player, and other front end units? How about amp stands? I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading my stand to something more robust, which means pending $$$. I currently use an old Target T5 stand, which is similar to the Solid Steel 3 series, and have just switched to a Sound Anchor stand for my amp. Since I switched amps at the same time, and the amp weights 200 lbs., I'm not going to AB it with my old stand.
Would love to hear what experiences you have had with different stands.

Thanks and good listening,
Mike
128x128mrvordo
Post removed 
I disagree with Elizabeth on this one.
Rockadanny, my results with the Star Sound Sistrum SP-101 stand and their brass Audio Points beneath all of my components is as you described.The improvement in sound was rather and plesantly significant.At least in my case they performed as advertised. I find them very cost effective for the improvement they provide.
Regards,
The British and American approach to audio stands is very different. The Brits favour a "lighter is better" approach to manage and channel away vibration and jitter. The US approach is a "heavier mass" isolation approach.

Which is better? Impossible IMO to generalize; it depends on your particular gear. Anecdotally IMO it further depends on added sensitivities introduced as one moves up the $$ chain for that gear.

I've bought and use(d) the stands and tweak products as follows:

(i) I had the Mapleshade Samson audio equipment rack/stand along with their brass footers. It/they worked relatively well in my old set-up, particularly for the CDP. I sold it cuz a dealer recommended a custom bespoke audio stand based on the UK model Naim Fraim design . I was skeptical, so I auditioned it at home -- he was righ-- that new stand outperformed it by no small margin. Curiously, in the new setup there are no brass footers either.

In fairness, the new bespoke audio stand is much much more expensive (6 X) and now it really shined that much more with much much more expensive hardware sitting on it (cdp and integrated amp ~ again 6 X) ) as my new kit . I am guessing that the higher up the $$ food chain one goes, the effects (and sensitivities) of ALL accesssories and tweaks become more dramatic.

(ii) Previously I also bought the MS kiln-dried maple 4 inch platform with the heavyweight brass footers for the old and new CDP to sit on. It worked relatively well in the old kit but was a dud in the new modded Naim Fraim approach set-up. I now use it and the footers as a very good isolation base in my "B" kit.

To ask which is the "best" is analagous to asking "how long is a piece of string? ASN: "... it depends(including budget)..."
I have not owned every rack on the market so I can't make a definitive statement on the subject like Elizabeth and it would be nice to know her experience with racks to judge the validity of her opinion. I wish her statement was true...It's not. It's an opinion based on incomplete experience unless she's owned every rack. The effect of proper vibration management and resonance energy transfer was a "slap you in the face" upgrade in my system. I can't make a judgement for anyone else, but I have Agear to thank for helping me understand it's importance. There is no going back for me.
A stand is at the 0.1% difference level.

Empirical evidence to support that statement? Current system or systems in which you have experimented with stands? That philosophy is a vestige of yesteryear when everyone had their gear sitting on the carpet.

I found this old article from 1992 documenting the speaker stand "debate." An interesting read. I do wish there was a little more data to substantiate the claims of current isolation technologies.. This is a little surprising since several companies have engineers involved.

Stands can make a significant difference in my experience. My non-audiophile wife could hear the difference in blinded tests. It is readily discernible and obvious. The degree of change can vary based on equipment type and design elements and degree of system resolution.

Start with your speakers and work backwards. I am a Sistrum fan and they offer a trial period. Stillpoints and Equarack are also good products that I have used. Try them and see for yourself. Don't be swayed by vague, prosaic statements by "Elizabeth" or me or anyone else.