Biggest bucks = Satifaction? Hmmmmm...

With a self-classification as "rookie", "newbie", or, best yet, "audio ignoramus", I ponder the signifigant satisfaction fellow members have enjoyed (or failed such) with their highest dollar acquisitions.

Before "The Fever" got me, my biggest buy was a $1k Kenwood rack system bought from Circuit City (jeez, I hated that salesman...but it was Circuit City or Sears, can you blame me?) 10 years ago. That system was fine until I heard a MacIntosh at the local high end shop (just by chance - I buy my CDs there). I was blown away, not just by the sound, but by the cost factor as well. I knew I had to start upgrading, so over the past two years I have, in my humble opinion, built a fine beginner system. My highest dollar buy has been a pair of B&W CDM9NTs, and even though I paid full retail for them, they have rewarded my expenditure twenty-fold, delight to the point that they rank very low on my near-future upgrade list.

How about you? What single audio component most severely damaged your pocketbook, and was it worth it?

Cheers, Steve...
zootallures
My speakers were also my farthest reach. But as all others have concurred, it was very much worth it. I was a little dismayed when I brought the boxes into my living room. They were so very small compared to the $3,500. I can't imagine ever getting rid of these Dynaudio 1.3 Se's. The thought of upgrading to something better makes me wonder what better is going to cost me though. Dale
Wilson Watt/Puppy's 6.0! Wife has left me (although i think spekers were just a pretext) and bankrupcy lawyer is next...! Was it worth it? Yeahhh!