Flavor Of the Month

I've recently seen the phrase "flavor of the month" used to put down a component. While it clearly implies that the subject product doesn't have staying power or won't deliver long term satisfaction, it's my observation that a component has to be pretty darn good to attain FOTM status. Sure there's an element of hype, but internet forums such as this one are excellent at separating the real deals from the pretenders. Can anyone name a component that was the Flavor Of the Month that turned out to be a turkey?
128x128onhwy61
Sony DVP 9000 ES

There is another thread started that states this is being replaced in October. In that this will be the third in the 9000 family, with no real new technology I'd nominate Sony as the #1 "Flavor of the Month" manufacturer.
Flavor of the month usually pertains to good sounding, quality products. But the quality gets snowballed in to a belief that everything sonic will be better as long as I have this thing, bypassing the component-matching area of the audiophile brain. Its all just Western consumerism overriding one's coolness. I love the way the flavor pushes down the used cost of components that the flavor is replacing. I just bought a mint $3k CDP for $1075 b/c the v.2 came out. I like the phenomenon.
I agree that as a buyer the FOTM syndrome is great. I bought the phenomenal Muse Two Ninety Six DAC in Mint condition for one-third of its price because they came out with a 192 kHz oversampling DAC. It is very difficult for manufacturers of products without wear parts (which can last for a long time without service - sometimes decades). They need to convince you to replace a functioning unit with one that performs the same function. The better their products the worse it is, because besting it will become more difficult and the differences less glaring. So we should at least take heart that for those who decide not to follow every trend the phenomenon works in our favor.