Buyer's remorse - your worst purchase?

We've all done it - you just want to kick yourself for spending the money on a stupid tweak or something. High expectations, great reviews, no results. Help me out as I am new to the audiophile world and feel myself being sucked in by ads and hype.
grandpoobah
Back the 80's I wanted new speakers. I had to have Polk, just because my cousin had some and he said they were good. I was going to buy Polk 10's, that's all I can remember of the name. When I went to buy, they were having a sale on Polk SDA 12c's, I thought, surely bigger is better! I wouldn't admit they were lousy at the time.
I upgraded to an expensive Surround Sound Reciever from a lesser receiver and wish I had taken the oportunity to go to two channel then. It ended up being two years later that I dumped surround for pure stereo.
I wanted to save a few bucks so I bought a "B" stock Jolida 502A from Audio Advisor for $600.00/$1000.00 It sounded pretty good but it looked like it had been dropped from a 50 foot window.The transformers were all bent and dented,the paint was chipped and scratched.I couldnt stand to look at it so I sent it back and bought a Dynaco ST-70 for $150.00 that TROUNCED the Jolida!