Beethoven Symphonies - best perf + sonics on CD

My CD's of Beethoven's symphonies were all issued in the late 80's or early 90's and sound flat and two-dimensional, with a back-of-the-house perspective. Vinyl is more dynamic but I can't tolerate the surface noise during the quiet passages. So, fellow A'gon members, I'm looking for your suggestions for the best sounding (good tone, big dynamics, front row perspective) and most thrilling performances of Beethoven symphonies on redbook CD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
Thanks, Goofyfoot! Good to know...seems like Penguin stays here and i will keep an eye out for Schwann!
Thanks, Rok2id and Goofyfoot for confirmation. Will get the 2010 set for such a good price.
You may wish to try the Beethoven cycle on Sony/DG with Paavo Jarvi and the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen. This are hybrid SACDs recorded in DSD, recently reviewed in the absolute sound issue 226. This is a chamber sized orchestra, maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like the Symph 6/2 disc I found locally.
I have heard good things about the Paavo Jarvi Beethoven symphonies...how good is the recording/mastering? Sounds promising...
I like the DSD version. The smaller ensemble is like the "sports car" version of Beethoven with better acceleration and handling, not so ponderous.
But, I checked the 44.1/16b layer and it is not as smooth and spacious. YMMV