How to add to my 2-chanl int. amp for home theater

I have a good two-channel integrated amp I use for music. I'd like to move to home theater inexpensively, that is without replacing my entire system. How can I add to what I have to get surround sound processing and amplification for the other channels? Ideally, I'd like a surround sound receiver that has line-level outs for the front right and left channels, so I can use my integrated amp. for those, and use the receiver for the other channels. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one that has them. The closest is receivers that have pre-amp outs. But that would bypass the preamp stage of my integrated amp. even for music, and an inexpensive surround receiver won't have as good a preamp as my integrated amp. I'd like to spend $500 or less but will consider more expensive solutions.
ddoneff
Why don't you check out Yamaha's DSP-A1 Integrated amp? It's a few years old, has fantastic sound, and will do everything you need. Believe me, I have 2 of them, and they are ever bit the equal of my McIntosh separates. I've tried the route you want to go, and it is a pain! You can pick up mint DSP-A1's for around $650-700. Original cost when new was $2700 in black, $2850 in gold with rosewood side panels, so they are quite a bargain now.
You have to use pre-amp outs from the surround processor, as that is where volume control must lie. If not, while listening to surround material, you will be separately controlling L/R volume on your integrated amp, and the remaining volumes (center/surrounds) from the surround processor.

You cannot take L/R volume control away from the surround processor, that is what it does. The purpose of the separate 2-channel system is for 2-channel only listening.

The issue you may have is how to set the volume to the same place on the 2-channel system so that when you play surround material thru it you maintain the balance of L/R to center/surrounds.

To do this, normally some type of "pass thru" or "processor loop" is employed which bypasses the volume controls of your 2-channel system so that the proper balance is maintained. Lacking this, you will need to have a volume position on your 2-channel that is repeatable and always used when in surround mode.

Hope this helps ...
I just did this for my brother's proceed/logan system. Get a decent receiver like a denon 2804 and use the center & rear amps as normal. For R&L, use the pre-amp outs from the receiver to any inputs in the integrated. Hook up the dvd to the receiver only for 5.1. If you use the dvd for stereo also, use it's rca outs to the integrated as a cd.

When watching movies, find a place to pre-set the volume on the integrated (75%?) and never move it. You will use the level adjustments on the receiver to match the center and rears to the front level of the integrated. After this, the volume on the receiver will control all 5 channels the same. Keep in mind that due to different amps, the volume may increase slightly differently but still can be adjusted by the level controls on the receiver.
A company named Vantas used to make exactly what you are looking for (if dolby digital and prologic is all you need + amps for center and rears), but unfortuantely went belly up. Their stuff was really high end at the time (1998-2000), and is occasionally here on Audiogon or eBay for about $200-300. Check it out. http://www.audioreview.com/A-V+Preamplifier/Vantas/PRD_118434_2719crx.aspx