System help with Vandy speakers NEWBIE

Hi everyone,
I am about to purchase Vandy speakers - probably the 1C. I need help with knowing if what I have will work together. I'd also like to know if the 2CE would work as well. This is for 50% classical music and 50% HDTV/DVD use.
Here is what I have: new Pioneer DVR-Tivo with Hard Drive, new Pioneer Elite receiver 100W VSX-53TX, AR subwoofer-112PS (lists for about 400.00 if you don't know it), Sony 34" wide HDTV - new model used w/ digital cable, AR center channel model 4C, and I also have four old AR speakers 2 - AR2Ax and 2-AR14. I'm using the 14s as front speakers now and 2ax as back. I'll replace the 14s with the new Vandy's. So........... does this seem like it will work? Would there be any benefit to trying to find a used (pre-amp/amp don't know which??) to include with this? The room is about 18' x 20'. What cables should I use? I now have three sets of "Better Cables" composits and two good optical cables. I bought the best speaker cable from Radio Shack (but from this forum I gather that won't cut it w/ Vandys). I need to get a new sub-woofer cable 'cause this one is too short. Can you all help with all this? Thanks alot.
maryedw
A little hard to give some advice w/o knowing what your budget and new/used feelings are. An easy comment is that you should go to component video cables from the cable source to the TV. The Vandys are very nice speakers and work well w/many kinds of electronics, but would benefit from a better source and amplification. Maybe something w/HT pass-thru if you want to combine both systems. You will find varying opinions about the Model 1s vs 2s, but I think that the 2s are a worthwhile step up. Give us more info, please, and you will get lots of ideas.
Used is fine. Also, if you will, please be specific in advice, i.e., don't use abreviations. I don't know what most of them mean. Sorry I'm such a newbie (: As for price, I assume you are talking about more power?? At this point I don't want to spend more than 400.00 (new used). Thanks again. Oh and by the way, I do use "better cables" component cables. I always mix the 2 up! Components are the better ones, that's what I have. PS When you say better source, do you mean better receiver? I just bought the Pioneer, so it's here, but I could add to it correct? What is HT pass-thru? Mary
Mary,

Interesting current set-up, as you have 3 sets of Acoustic Research speakers in use ... all from different design phases in the company ... that all differ in sound from each other. One of the goals in a HT set-up is matching the tonal character of the center channel speaker with the the tonal character of your front speakers. You want the sound from the 3 speakers to be seamless, or sound complementary, at the least. Most of the sound that you will hear from movies comes from the center channel speaker. Both the AR 4C (part of AR's Hi-Res series) and the Vandersteen IC use metal tweeters, so you may be OK here. There are also reviewers from magazines like "The Sensible Sound" who feel that you will be fine with most center channel speakers, as long as they are quality speakers ... and the AR 4C was always well reviewed.

As for which speakers to use in the rear, use the pair that is in the better shape. Given their ages (the AR 2AX must be at least 35 years old and the AR 14 are about 28 years old), I would think that the speakers require refoaming or reconing by now. Given that ambient sounds are directed to the rear speakers, tonal matching with the front speakers is nice, but not an absolute. Be careful with placement, ... those were both big, heavy speakers (25 X 13 X 13).

I am curious as to what amp/receiver you used previous to the Pioneer and what you liked about how it worked with the AR's. HT receivers are good with movies, but usually just OK with music ... music sounds a little warm and less defined. Before I would buy a separate amp though, I would hook it all up and see how your new set-up sounds ... if you are satisfied with the Pioneer/Vandersteen/AR set-up ... you can stop right there. If you are not satisfied, there might be things that you would do before you purchased a separate amp to power the front two speakers. I might consider purchasing a Vandersteen center channel speaker (VCC 1) or a separate CD player for music (I am assuming that you are using a combination CD/DVD player ... my apologies if I am wrong).

Regards, Rich
you may want to try running the vandies w/o a center channel. just tell your receiver that there is no center. i've been fiddling with this and actually like it alot, and you wouldn't have to worry about matching the center. this however, does lessen the sweet spot. but if there's only one or two people in front of the tv, it shouldn't be a problem. make sure to use the radio shack sound level meter to balance the levels of all your speakers.

aloha keith